Spanish Mauser Oddity

johnm1

During my weekly walk through the LGS I came across an odd Spanish Mauser 1893. It has the full 29" barrel but also had a full length (Mannlicher) stock and matching hand guard. Hand guard was typical length and left the front top part of the barrel exposed. I haven't found a reference to an 1893 with a full stock other than a shortened version (25") done by an importer in the 50's or 60's. This doesn't appear to be one of those.

Is it possible this full length stock is correct for this rifle?

Marked Fabrica de Armes Oviedo 1924 and other than the mismatched bolt looked to be in full military dress including the full length stock. 7x57.

I'm not sure if there was ever a full length stock for any full length mausers. Carbines I have seen. And it looks like a carbine other tha the length.

Thanks

Only thing I can think of is if someone cut the original stock at the sling band and spliced in a longer piece from another stock to make a Mannlicher stock. The splice would be hidden under the band. Look real close at the wood to see if there is any miss-match or loosen the band and look under there.
If that's not the case, then I don't have a clue.

Thanks Larry.

I'll have to rely on the difference between the wood before / after the band. I'm a regular at this LGS but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't appreciate me taking their rifle apart. Neat looking rifle though.

Spent quite a few years in Desoto South of Dallas. I miss Texas though i love Arizona.

Back