Spanish Mauser Carbine??

Thibault

I have a bud that is showing me his newest acquisition he got from his granpa: a spanish (Oviedo made) mauser.
Can anyone help on the history/ value (if any of this beauty?)
-Mauser action, 7x57mm
-chrome-plated turned-down bolt handle (probably not original, discrepancy in s/n)
-flip-up ladder-type rear sight, graduated from 500 to 1400 meters
-saddle-ring(?) or sling attachment about 1 1/4" wide on LH side of stock
- straight stock without provision for cleaning rod
-top of receiver stamped in front of action with a crown, surrounded with "Fabrica de armas Oviedo 1912", various proof marks on barrel and receiver.
-3-step tapered barrel, 18" in lenght
-all s/n match but the bolt, 80-85% blue, good stock with a few handling marks.
Any info? Thanx!

thibalt:
I'm not sure if this is the same gun, but it is listed as a Spanish Mauser. I have a hunch that both are small ring Mausers and the mechanisms are the same.

MAUSER

Model: 1892
Other Names: Spanish Mauser
Mfg: Mauser
Caliber: 7.65mm
Length: 41.3"
Weight: 8.3lb
Barrel Length: 21.75"
Grooves:
M-Velocity:

After several years of use, the model 1889, (Belgian), 1890 (Turkish), and the 1891, (Argentine) Mausers started to show designing problems. Cartridge extraction became unreliable, the charger strip and the strip guide was not durable enough, the detachable magazines were generally lost by the user during combat situations. Although the caliber and the basic design were suitable, many small irritable and un-safe conditions existed that manifested the change in the basic mechanical design of these weapons.

This new rifle, with its new staggered magazine, was entered in the Spanish weapons trials where it became a huge success. It was promptly adopted by the Spanish army and designated the
Spanish Mauser. Although this new rifle was an improvement over its predecessors, its life was short lived. The same held true for the 92/93 Spanish Navy carbine in 7.65mm caliber, with only a few hundred being made.

This is the rifle used against the U.S. in the Spanish American War. The Americans had the 30-40 Krag, The Mauser had greater distance and accuracy, and was instrumental in the creating of the Springfield 1903 30-06.

Hope this helps is your quest.

HJN

Harley,
From other sources I have consulted, this rifle could very well be a 1895 model i.e. 7/57 cal, barrel lenght, etc...
Does it make sense or are my info way out in the left field?

For all practical purposes the M93 and M95 Mauser actions are the same. In the early Mauser catalogs they are listed as the 93-95 actions with no differences between the two noted. There are variations however, and the two can be identified by the markings on the actions. ie: Model 1893 or Model 1895. The mechanical variations are so minimal mention is not made.

In identifying these actions from the 1898 Mauser actions, the size is most important. The 1898 is termed the Large Ring, and looks considerable larger by comparison, where as the 93-95
actions are termed Small Ring, and by appearance are smaller in diameter and length compared to the 98 actions.

It does make sense. All are much the same gun, being small ring Mausers and not much difference in the mechanisms.

HJN

Small and large rings

All pre-1898 Mausers are small ring (1.30") but not all 1898's are large ring. The distinguishing features of the 1898 are cock on opening, the safety lug, the bolt sleeve lock, the safety firing pin, the undercut extractor, and the flanged bolt sleeve. Some 1898's, mostly those made for the less powerful 7mm and 7.65mm, are small ring, while those made for the 8x57 are mostly large ring.

Jim

Is it an 1893 or 1895 Mauser? Remove the bolt from the rifle. Look at the face of the bolt. If the bottom of the bolt is flat, it is an 1893. If it's round, it is an 1895.
Paul B.

Back