Spanish Mauser Bolt

greenberg86

Inactive
I was taking a look at Spanish Mauser short rifle for a friends son. Gun looks in great condition accept for one thing. The bolt has a lot of slop in it when not closed. I also found the serial number on the bolt is different from the rest of the rifle. could this be the problem since back in the day parts were made individually to fit each gun? Or is the slop a common problem with this rifle? Thanks

The bolt has a lot of slop in it when not closed.

There is a small ring and a large ring, there is the 7mm57 and there is the 8mm57. There were conversions to 7.62 NATO. All of the designs were designed to be fire with the bolt closed.

F. Guffey

I think they purposely put a little slop in the bolts after they were unlocked, in case of dirt binding them up in the receiver. If the bolt fit snugly, it wouldn't take much dirt or mud to foul it, or even rust to keep one from opening it easy, or drawing it back. Military rifles are designed with more thought than civilian rifles.

The bolt has a lot of slop when it is open

As has been said, there is little to no information to be gained when checking the bolt when it is open. Then there is cock on open and there is cock on close. I am thinking about changing the barrel on a 7mm57 cock on close Spanish Mauser to 6.5mm55, I have two 6.5mm55 barrels that are long enough, WHY? I do not have a 6.5mm55. Then there is the Turk M38 with the large ring receiver and small diameter shank.

F. Guffey

I was taking a look at Spanish Mauser short rifle for a friends son.

Suggest confirming chambering and acceptable headspace since this sounds like it's to be a shooter, rather than a safe queen.

I am thinking about changing the barrel on a 7mm57 cock on close Spanish Mauser to 6.5mm55, I have two 6.5mm55 barrels that are long enough, WHY? I do not have a 6.5mm55. Then there is the Turk M38 with the large ring receiver and small diameter shank.

Thanks to Roughedge and Dixie Gunsmithing

Suggest confirming chambering and acceptable headspace since this sounds like it's to be a shooter, rather than a safe queen.

tobnpr. On the outside chance the original poster is selective when responding to information I consider there is an outside chance there are other readers that do not get involved in posting. I also consider there are readers that are curious. I have 2 6.5mm55 barrels, I have a choice, I could install one on a Spanish Mauser or I could install one on a M38 Turk. The safest instillation would be the Turk if the Spanish Mauser is a cock on close. The Turk has a better gas handling design and it has a third safety lug.

If the OP is going to be checking rifles for friends I believe he start with research, it is Ok to get me wrong, the Internet is a place to acquire information, in my opinion it is not the best place. especially if the OP is selective.

F. Guffey

Well to late, checked it, cleaned it, laser bore sighted it, made a few tweaks. Took it to the farm this morning and ran 20 rounds through it. Kick not bad at all. Nice 3" groups at 100 yards using PPU FMJ ammo. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and info.

Back