Spanish Mauser (1916?)

easyliven88

Hello all..I picked up this disassembled Spanish Mauser (1916?), at least that is what was told to me and with the little research I have done. Its missing both the front and rear sights, the long receiver/magazine bolt. Other than that she is a complete rifle unless I'm missing something, which is why I'm telling her story. I am a newbie when it comes to Mausers, but am slowly learning, I'm pretty sure this is a 1916. First or second pattern, I really don't know. I'll be trying to track down the parts I need, but that all hinges on exactly what model I have here. I would appreciate any and all responses and thoughts.

The stock has a few hairline cracks, one right behind the tang and one at the butt end originating from the lower buttplate screw. The bore is in excellent shape, the bolt needs a little cleaning up. Also, needless to say, only matching number are the barrel and receiver, yet written in pencil on the stock and hand guard also. No import mark any where, no date or manufacturer stamps either. Well I'll let the pics tell the rest, thanks for looking...

Yes, it is a Spanish Model 1916 Short Rifle. I would not spend a lot of time or money on it, unless the condition is really good. Hundreds of thousands were imported and it is probably the least valuable of any of the milsurp Mausers.

That said, if it has not been altered, it is in 7x57 (7mm Mauser), an excellent medium game cartridge, and those rifles (again dependent on condition) are generally accurate and reliable.

Jim

If it's re-chambered (most cases 7.62)then just sell the parts!

I bought one from SAMCO and wasn't happy with it.

I'll keep you in mind Boogieman....

I do have a question though...How can I tell if its been converted to 7.62? Btw the way the bore in G-VG condition. Thats the only reason I'm leaning toward making it complete.

Back