Spanish FR8 Mausers.

Having read a good bit, but only handled the rifle once, just some basic questions.

Are they little-known because they were not true combat rifles, and are not full-length Mausers such as classic Swedes, K-98s, Czechs, Yugos etc?

Do people get tired of them because they shoot pricier .308 instead of cheaper surplus 8mm, or maybe they get tired of the recoil?
The recoil must be similar to that of my Enfield #5s, which is not bad.

I've got one and love it. It's very handy, relatively accurate and has a neat look to it. I do not think it has significant recoil. But I usually handload for mine and try to keep the loads below maximum. And I would not use factory .308 Win in it, only NATO 7.62 x 51, which actually has a lower permissible pressure of 50,000 psi, compared to .308 62,000 psi.

I find my .303 No 4's have more recoil than the FR8. At least my shoulder feels it more.

My 1954 Corona shot 2-3" groups off bags but after 20-30 rounds I really started to feel it. The muzzle blast also proved a little too much for my enjoyment after 20-30 rounds. Similar to a Remington 600 I had that wasn't much fun for extended shooting either.

My fun rifle now is an Israeli 7.62x51 conversion FN 98 with enough barrel length and weight to make it a pleasant shooter all afternoon.

Last edited:

The FR8 was used in training and also by some special police units.

I've enjoyed mine. Very good shooter. A unique rifle, as you have recognized.
IF I was to grab a bolt gun for a SHTF or a fight, this would unquestionably
be the one because of it's handiness, power, and sights.

I would never part with mine as I think it rates very high in "cool factor".
On a time line, as well as it's image, the FR8 stands on the threshold
between the bolt service rifle era and the black rifle. This I believe makes
it a true collectible rifle.

It's recoil/blast is as you expected with the no.5 Enfield.

good shooting, dxr

Unless the 200 yard aperture can work pretty well with 100 yard targets, is the open sight for 100 better than the typical sight on my Yugo Mauser 48A?

This is the only thing I have against my Mauser, being spoiled by the sights on my Enfield #4s, #5s and Garand.

If you screw up the sight modification, good look finding a replacement. I'm pretty good with a dremel and some files but I would not try that.

P.S. quick question if I may ... are the FR8 bolt and the 8mm Mauser K98 bolt interchangable without modification ?

No, K-98 is a larger action. FR-8 is built on a 96 action and is smaller.

My Fr-8 is my truck gun, shoots right at 2" with reduced handloads. A 125grain hollow point at 2250fps is enough for anything I'll have to worry about.

The FR8 is a rebuilt Model 43 mauser which uses a 98 type mauser action.

The FR7 is a rebuilt Model 1916 mauser which uses a 93/95/96 type mauser action.

These guns look much alike and are often confused in regard to the action.
Many more FR8 rifles were built than FR7 rifles.

dxr

Back