SP89

Status
Not open for further replies.

thequickad

Need info on SP89. Is it just an HK94 with shorter bbl and no stock? What is a PDW bbl on SP89?

Anyone can share some experience in actual shooting of the SP89?

Much appreciated.

I shot one in Sacramento once, at a range. It looked like a HK 94 w/o stock and very short barrel to me but I don't know much about HK's. The accuracy was pretty good. It operated like any other HK and it never jammed. It was fun to shoot but I thought that it was pretty useless for most anything. It would probably make a good investment if you didn't shoot it to much.

If your looking for a shooter get a M11/9 they are very reliable and the mags are a lot cheaper and you can always have it converted to use Sten mags which are cheap and plentifull.

Hope is helps I now it wasn't much.

The SP89 is essentially an HK94 shortened so that it can qualify as a pistol, i.e. no stock and shorter barrel. The SP89 is essentially a semiauto version of the MP5K (4.5" barrel). The PDW version of the MP5K has a 5.50" barrel, due to the threaded portion meant for barrel accessories and comes with a folding buttstock (illegal for use on the SP89, though due to modularity, it can fit on the SP89)...

I've fired the full auto version and absolutely hate it. Hard to control (suppose to have the sling thrown over your shoulder and both arms fully extended with elbows locked). Give me a collaspable/folding or fixed stock anyday.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I haven't verified this, but I've heard that some places allow adding the longer stock and barrel to an SP89 so that in effect you have a semi-auto version of an MP5. Has anyone else heard about this?

Sure. If the state you reside in permits it, you pay the $200 license fee to the BATF, get a license for a short barrel rifle and then attach a folding stock. It's worth the money if you have the SP89 since controlled fire is everything.

I was in a gunshop once when someone brought in such a gun. The guy wanted some work done on it and the 'smith and my buddies looked at it admiringly. Then it dawned on me what was funny. I asked everybody if they noticed something was wrong. They collectively shook their heads no. The stock was pointed out and the 'smith went into a panic about a BATF setup. He called the guy back immediately, chewed him out and gave him back the gun. In Kalifornia, our State guvmint doesn't take kindly to short barrel rifles.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back