SP101 Trigger Job

GunAround

Inactive
Any recommendations on a trigger job for the sp101. I have a new 3" .357, and I hear that dryfiring will help smooth it. It is an all purpose gun, so does anyone recommend any trigger work?

If so, what?

a set of Wolff reduced power springs did mine a big favor. be sure and test them after installation for positive ignition before depending on them for self defense. any GOOD revolver gunsmith can smooth the action a little to a lot by careful stoneing of internal surfaces. i would not recomend you do this yourself if you have never done it before or have any training in such things.
you might want to shoot the gun or at least dryfire the action at least 500 to 1000 times before you start doing any action jobs. springs you can do now.

enjoy your fine revolver

I bought a GP100 a few months back, which is the SP101's full-size brother. I found the trigger pull to be objectionably rough (but acceptably heavy) when I first got it home. But over the past few months, with about 1500 rds. and a few thousand dry fire reps, it has smoothed out considerably.

I'm not really familiar with the SP101, but if your concern is more with the smoothness of the trigger pull, rather than the weight, then I am not sure revised springs will help that much. But I would strongly concur with the advice about dry firing it. Plus, unlike some other revolver makers, Ruger's attitude on dry firing is basically, go for it. To me, that says something about the reliability of their products.

I too was unhappy with the trigger pull on my SP101. I installed the Wolff reduced power springs and it made a lot of difference. The biggest difference was that it wouldn't pop the hard CCI primers. I put the factory mainspring back in and it snapped them fine. So I installed the reduced power trigger return spring which lowered the single action pull and left the double action stock. The gun is a defense gun and I don't want to take any chances. I have heard that Federal primers are very soft and easy to pop so that might be the answer. I'd have to shoot a lot of them in my gun with the reduced power spring before I would feel confident in them. Dryfiring absolutely will improve both the trigger action and your shooting ability.

I'll throw my vote in for the Wolff spring set. I went right to the lightest hammer spring out of the three that came in the set right off the bat, and it made a huge difference.

The firing pin strike is certainly lighter than stock, but I never had a misfire, even with CCI primers. As far as single action pull it's hard to say, as mine's a DAO and I didn't mess with the trigger spring.

My advice: Order the lightest spring and try it. It will set you back all of about $5.00, and I think you'll find it totally satisfactory. For serious defensive work, however, you might be wise to keep the stock spring weight and have a professional trigger job done. Ultimately, it's all very subjective either way.

Hope this helps,
SM

I keep dry firing my SP 101 and the trigger is getting smoother and smoother. This way, I don't have to worry about light strikes and possible failures to fire......

Back