SP101 - Third time's the charm

Sisco

Some may remember my previous threads about my SP101. In a nutshell, got a bad one that was replaced with another bad one.
The third new one came today. Installed the Wolff springs and Hogue grip and went to the range.
I'm pleased.
At first it seemed to be shooting about 8" low and to the left but then I discovered it was me. 3" barrel on this thing is lots shorter than I'm used to but after 50 or so rounds I figured it out.
Shot a variety of ammo from very mild .38 spcl. HBWC's to some near-the-top load 125gr JHP's. Ran about 50 158gr SWC's through it too. Recoil is managable, maybe it's the Hogues but I could've shot the hotter loads through it all day with very little discomfort. (but then again, I LIKE recoil!)

A FEW THOUGHTS

Suggest complete disassembly and thorough cleaning, then lubing with TetraGrease on a few select wear points and BreakFree CLP on the rest.
Grease the sear, and a few logical heavy-wear points. BreakFree on those other rotating/spinning-type places.

That might help your overall ownership satisfaction.
Or not.

SK, which Wolff hammer spring did you end up using?

I tried the 9# on my SP 101 in 22LR with about 6 misfires out of 150 rounds (this with a variety of brands of <cheap> ammo). 10# gives acceptable reliability, with the rare occasional misfire. I think it's on par with the factory spring. 22LR is so notoriously unreliable, I would not suggest this has any bearing on centerfire reliability. That's why I'm interested in your results.

BTW, Tetragrease and Break Free are exactly what I lube with, too, and it works great! The more I mess with the SP 101 the more I like it.

I used the 10lb. First set of replacement springs I tried was in a GP100, the 9lb spring resulted in numerous misfires. Even with the 10lb one I found that only Winchester primers were reliable, CCI's wern't.
I might try the 9lb in the SP just to see what happens though.
Tore it down again tonight during my back-from-the-range cleaning ritual and used some 1000 grit paper to polish a few things. Lubed her up with Tetra, walking around the house dry-firing it. Driving the wife crazy (QUIT PLAYING WITH THAT DAMN THING!:D )

Back