SP101 Safety concerns?

twoblink

So I bought a Ruger SP101.

I had a question though concerning the safety of modern revolvers. Is there a drop safety on them nowadays? I mean if the hammer gets hit without the trigger being pulled, does the revolver still fire??? I assume the new designs have a drop safety, but I'd feel better if someone who knows gave me a definitive answer.

Thanks.
Albert

Since 1973, all Ruger revolvers have featured an transfer bar trigger/hammer system that prevents the hammer from coming into contact with the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. There is not a safer revolver on the market than a Ruger.

Of course S&W, Colt, Taurus and others have approacked the situation from different avenues and all DA are revolvers made made in the last forty years or so are perfectly safe to carry with fully loaded cylinders. Even older revolvers from some makers are safe to carry fully loaded.

Help your Lady friend learn to shoot accurately and don't worry about the pistol. It is safe. Be sure to have her use good hearing protection while practicing. Otherwise she will develope a world class flinch.

Doc Hudson

Thanks, I figure as much, but wanted a little verification.

You know what makes me flinch? When I shoot next to someone with a 50 Caliber.. hehehe But yep, that's good advice, good hearing protection will reduce flinching... Note to self...

Albert

Ditto what Doc stated

As to hearing protection, the best way is to use plugs AND muffs. Especially when shooting next to those .50s.:)

Back