SP101 Questions?

S.F.S

I have a .357 SP101 with the 3" barrel on layaway Im gonna be picking up. I was told that the barrel is to short to expect any accuracy past arms length and the recoil is fierce.
It is one of the older SP101's made for 125 Gr. only, its had not even 10 rounds through it, it was a carry gun, also its like new. I plan on putting a set of Hogue rubber grips on it.
I would like to hear from people who have an SP101 and shoot it often not just carry it. Also what type of accuracy can I expect from it and at what distance, using factory ammo?
I plan on shooting both 38's and .357's out of it.

Thanks Guys....

Scott

Houge mono grips are a VERY GOOD choice. (My ONLY choice on this gun)
Accuracy just takes lots of practice. I got to the point that I can consistently put a 5" 5shot group together at 25 yds. slowfire double action, double freehand hold, and mine is the 2 1/4" barrel.
Acurracy maintenance for me is 1-2 range sessions per week, 50-100 rounds per session. I've found with this particular pistol, trigger control is CRITTICAL. It has a heavy long pull in DA mode, and you can easily pull the sights out of alignment.

Recoil is not that terrible at all. It is a little rough, but very controllable with practice.

Enjoy the new pistol.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!!!:D

BTW: You might want to consider a trip to ruger for a new cylinder so you can shoot the heavier loads if you want.

Last edited:
sp 101

I have sp 101's in 357. the 2 1/4 and 3 in. barrel. Both are very accurate and both can be controlled with 357 ammo. That said most people will find it best to start off with 38 special and get used to the weapon. After you feel comfortable try some 357........if it seems too much stay with 38. I use the factory grips on both.

Short barreled revolvers are pretty much just as accurate as any other handgun (of course individual examples may go from one extreme to the other). The problem is that they are more difficult to shoot accurately due to the short sight radius. What appears to be a small misalignment of the sights on a short barrel (sights closer together) will cause a much wider shot on the target than the same appearing sight picture on a longer barreled gun. If you take the time to practice, you can become very good with your SP-101. The accuracy potential is certainly there, the rest is up to you. There was a recent thread on here relating to this, I think it was something about hitting a human sillhouette at 100 yards with a short barreled revolver.
Grips: I personally feel that the grips Ruger is supplying with their double action revolvers are excellent. I have aftermarket grips on almost everything I own except my GP-100. On the SP-100, I went with the Hogue rubber grips just because everyone I talked to said that was the way to go. I found them to feel much better in my hand, but upon firing, they wore a hole in the web of my hand. I recently ordered a set of Eagle Secret Service grips in Ebony for my SP. We will see how they work out. I have found that I prefer smooth wood grips on my handguns. I have never liked the rubber grips, but that is just personal opionion, many people disagree.

Houge grips:
The reason I use them is twofold

1. The extra length means all three fingers on the butt, instead of the pinky hanging off in space. For me this means MUCH better control and MUCH faster follow-up shots.

2. It fills the palm of my hand out instead of me trying to hold my palm flat to contact the butt.

These are MY reasons for MY hand, your results may differ.

BTW: If for CCW purposes, you may like wood better, as it's less likely to snag on your clothing than rubber.

S.F.S.

I pick mine up next tuesday - 2 1/4 barrel. I have a set of Hogue wooden grips on order, that hopefully will arrive soon, though I plan on trying the stock grips. I have Hogue rubber grips on another revolver and 2 semi-autos and like them. I did a lot of research on TFL before buying this gun and for me it seemed the best choice.

Can't wait to try it. We'll have to compare notes.

Thanks Guys for your opinions.
I plan on starting out with the 38's for now and go from there. How are the 38's to shoot out of that gun? Comfortable or not really?

Ben,
You mentioned about a 5" 5 shot group you get at 25 yds. That doesn't sound that great, I always thought 2 or 3" group from a revolver is more expected as long as you are doing your part of coarse.
Please shed some light on this for me...

Mike,
Where are you at in Md.?

From a pistol bench 2" is doable. If you note in my post, the 5" was freehand.
Also, I've only had the gun for 2 years, there are others on this forum that could shoot me into the dirt.

My SRH will do 2" easy at 25yds (scoped and bench rested it will do 2" at 100), but I don't expect to ever have the time with the snubbie to pick shots like that. I bought it primarily for ccw use, and I don't expect to need use of it past 7 yds. max. 7yrd groups are easily within 2 inches. Rapid (as fast as I can regain sight picture) shooting at 7 yards is usually a 6" group.

If you want a good idea of the damage you can do to a person shooting like I do, have a buddy walk out 25yds and hold a 6" paper plate up in center of mass, all 5 of my shots are on that plate 90% of the time.

Ben,
Please don't think I was criticizing your shooting. I wouldn't do that. I was just asking.
Please don't be offended at all.

Scott

I have the 3" SP101. I too, put a set of Hogue rubber grips on it and though they felt good in the hand, they "grabbed" my clothing too badly. I put the factory grips back on and the gun is more concealable and faster into action for me. I don't plink with the gun too much. I decided I needed to learn to shoot it double action as I would if I needed it like right now. I was shooting the 110 grn .357's and they felt relatively mild, but I decided I wanted all the oomph I could get out of the little gun and have settled on the Federal 125's. Muzzle blast and recoil are pretty hefty but I can generally shoot palm sized groups at 7 yards in double action. Funny, when I try to shoot the 125's single action I really have a tendency to flinch, which affects my accuracy, but double action I shoot pretty well. I pull straight through so I don't anticipate the letoff point. I like it very much. I carry 3 speedloaders with me as I don't trust myself not to empty all five rapidly in a bad situation. It's the ony revolver I carry (4 different autos) and I feel pretty well armed when I carry it. I put a Wolff spring kit in it to lessen the trigger pull a tad. The 3" seems more shootable and accurate than the 2.? SP101 I used to have. I couldn't shoot that one well at all. I also shoot this 3" SP101 better than the 4" GP100 I used to have. Go figure. I really admire the strength of the Ruger revolvers.

EVERYONE that has posted a reply on this post, HELP ME !!! how much did you pay for your SP and where ?? I am looking to get a 2 1/4" barrel, hammered, .357 mag, Brand new in box, SP and i want to know where the cheapest place is to get 'em. Thanks !!!
:confused: Yzingerr@aol.com :confused:

I have the .357 SP101 with 3 inch barrel and feel whoever told you not to expect much accuracy is full of....

inaccuracy.

You will shoot as well with it as you concentrate on good sight alignment, good trigger control, and generally good technique.

Mine is a lot of fun to shoot (although I have a bad tendon in my right hand and cannot take magnum recoil), my 12 year old grandson does well with it, and I even carry it some. I teach defensive handgun to mainly beginners, and if my student owns and carries a revolver, I wear and demo with my SP 101 (and occasionally my student will wind up training with it.

I like the original grips on it but mine wears Crimson Trace LaserGrips. The grip shape is slimmer and longer than Ruger's, the form is that of a well thought out combat grip design and I've come to appreciate it's pointing and balance characteristics. The laser sight built into the right side is zero'd to the gun's sights at 45-50 feet (per CTC's recommendations) and is a tremendous training aid as well as offering tactical advantages in actual defensive use.

Although I prefer semi-auto for carry, I am very glad I have the Ruger SP101.

Bruce Foreman

"I Glock...Therefore I am..."

No offense taken. Just pointing out that this pistol isn't the one I use when sub-MOA accuracy is the goal.

Enjoy your new pistol.

Do a search for a thread on snubbie accuracy, I and several others posted what we CAN do with them IF we're really concentrating on accuracy.

BTW: only ever shot 2 cylinders full of 38, they're pussycats in my gun.

Ben,

I tried doing a search but it keeps comng up as,
"Sorry. The search function has been disabled by the administrator"

Yzingerr,
I paid $260.00 for mine thats used but its only had 10 rounds through it and its like new.
New price here in Delaware is $365.00,
this is for the .357 3" hammered, 2 1/4" should be the same though.

Scott

Last edited:
At 100 yrds. I can put 5/5 on an idpa torso target, free standing, with 2 hand hold.(most times within the -1 area) A 125gr 357 slug shoots very flat out to 100 yards. (If I ever have to use the snubbie at 100 yds, the s*** has really hit the fan, but I know I CAN use it effectively, IF I HAD to).

Shooting snubbies at that distance will REALLY teach you about:
1.Trigger control
2.sight picture

Most times(not always), if you shoot decent at longer distances, shorter ones are easier.

Back