SP101 or Speed Six?

AA

Am considering purchasing a Ruger Sp101 or a Speed Six, and would like to read your opinions. Purpose: ccw/car carry and to keep the G27 company.
Had an SP101 when they first came out. Had it for a year or so. Sold it when I bought a GP100. Just saw one for sale in a gun store, and I recall mine being finished a lot better. But could buy a used one and ship it off to Jack w. for a "taming the beast job". Or, could check out the Speed 6, which has an extra round.
It has been many moons since I've handled one of those, and I recall they were a bigger frame. Perhaps the 101 is the way to go for ccw despite giving up a round, for its size and strength are evidently designed specifically for ccw.
Re the SP101, is it possible to get a duller finish besides the SS? I read that Ruger has a "bright" SS, but I prefer blue steel. Rusting has not been a concern -- I don't carry very often, and SS just looks like a pimp gun.

Either will perform. Buy the one that feels best...

Stainless, if 'pulled', at least looks real. (Best "stop" is one that requires no shooting.)

i took a slightly different path, had a speed-six and sold it toward a gp100 so that i could use the same speedloaders as my python (PPC gun,w/barrel change). have regreted it ever since, felt bigger than the python and not as well balanced (we won't even talk about smoothness)

aquired a sp101 as part of a trade, great factory grip (had the wood inserts) but felt the same size as a DS...not worth losing the extra round. traded it away for a used berretta 96.

i think the speed-six w/2.75 barrel is a great CCW choice...wish i had one :( it is as handy as the smith 19/66 and able to handle (longer than me) a constant diet of .357 mag. is the speed-six a lot bigger than the sp101?

SP101 advantage: no shortage of parts. While I've never replaced any internal parts other than an adjustable mainspring on my SS, it's just a point to consider.

Comparing those two guns is really like comparing apples and oranges. They are about as different as you can get for short barrelled revolvers. One is a compact 5 shot gun, while the other is a full sized revolver with a short barrel. If you're leaning towards the SP101, I'd check out the variety of J-frames offered by S&W (used, if your politics so dictate). If you're leaning towards something larger with 6 shots, I'd check out the S&W Model 19 (stainless) or 66 (blue), or the Colt (I forget the model name but they make a 6 inch snub too). I'm not knocking the Rugers, I'm just saying they're not the only player in the game.

Also, consider your mode of carry. While a Speed-Six is not bad to carry on a belt, it's gotta be nasty on an ankle rig!

SP101

Of the two, the SP101 has the better trigger, is easier to carry and I think it has better grips. I much prefer the new Ruger DA trigger and grip. I bought a used SP101 for my girlfriend and she loves it. She shoots better groups using .38+P's out of the 101 than using her Colt .380. For a small revolver, its built like a tank. I shoot it better than my older Security Six.

speed six, ruger sp101, or Taurus 617

Branrot updates that the speed six is really full sized; it has been a while since I've seen one; and as I recall it is about the same as a security six except with fixed sights. I have enough, well not really enough, but many full-sized revolvers and am in the marked again for a snub. Well, how about the Taurus 617 with 7 rds vs. the Ruger sp101???
I like everything about the SP101, except that it has only 5 rounds.
I know the SP101 can be fine tuned, and I like its appearance except for the stainless steel finish. But, is it worthwhile putting good money into a Taurus 617 .357 and fine tuning it?
Thanks for your opinions -- I ruled out the speed six.

Back