SP101 Equipment / Hosters / Mods?

Gary H

We have been through two years of searching for a gun that fits my small wife. Semi-autos don't work easily with her small hands and limited strength. We were oriented towards the semi-autos due to their use in IDPA, but have dropped that idea (after much money and time spent on the same). Amy will shoot IDPA with her SP101 w/exposed hammer. We concluded that it was her preferred gun for self-defense and that was that. It looks like the Ruger SP101 is the gun left standing.
I have installed reduced power springs and the trigger has improved dramatically.

Now, we need to get an OWB holster w/ FBI cant, speedloader holders, speedloaders and nite sight. Can use your help with these items. Who makes the best speedloader, holder and holster? What do you do use with regards to nite sight? Have HKS speedloaders, but these don't seem to be that great.

Any gunsmith packages for this gun that are really worth doing?

Why bobb the hammer?

Thanks ahead of time...

Hmmm well Kramer and BladeTech both make ladies belt holsters with a different drop and outward cant to help match their different curves. Both should have speeloader holders that should work for you. Sam Andrews make some very cool concealment speedloader pouches that have the snap on the top to keep them flater.

As far as speedloaders, Safariland Comp Is or IIs are probably your best bet. HKS are a little more durable, but the Safarilands are a little bit faster due to their spring loaded release (i.e. no knob to twist like on the HKS). Depending one the grips on her gun you should be able to use J-frame speedloaders.

For sights, I know you can get a Ashely Express Big-dot Tritium sight (just bought one for my S&W640-1 and the site is marked marked for Ruger Revolvers also). That Big Dot looks about like a golf ball on the front of the gun, so i am not really sure if it would do for IDPA.

Millet makes a drop in blaze orange blade, but not sure about a night sight. Karl Sokol told me that he could make a nice ramped patridge and have a tritium dot put into it for my 686, so i am sure he could make one for her SP101.

Jack Wiegand has a rep for doing great action work on these little guns. I think he sells a night site for it too.

Check out his website : http://www.jackweigand.com/pistolsmithing/sp101.html

AS far a bobbing the hammer, that is more personal choice than anything else. I prefer bobbed hammers on carry guns; they are smoother and less likely to dig into me or catch on clothing. However, with the lighter springs you run more of a chance of light strikes on primers if you reduce the hammer mass. I would probably split the difference and grind it down and reduce it some at first, then if you are still getting good primer impact and you still want to go ahead and grind it smooth.

Ditto most of what revolvergeek said. I have a Galco Silhouette in black (excellent shape) you can try out and keep if you like it for 40.00. Rides high and tight to the body. I would let you try it for a bit before committing and I'll split the shipping with you. Alessi makes a nice holster tailored for women in addition to other manufacturers.

I think the best speedloader out there are the SL Variants. Dillon carrys them. Spring loaded like the Comp III's and you can get an extension for the handle. Plus the angle of the round can be adjusted inward/outward depending on your gun. Top shelf quality, but pricey. $20 bucks a pop (I think), but it's only your life :)

I also like the Ashley sights. The big dot is BIG. Check out the regular one and see what you like. 5-shot speedloader holders aren't as plentiful as the others, I just sent one of my 5-shot Variants to Blade-tech for a custom double pouch. The regular 5-shot they sent didn't quite fit right and they're fixing it. Great people over there.

I'm not sure what full power loads chrono at out of a ported barrel, but I fired my 101 (non-ported) side by side w/a buddy's ported/bobbed 101 with the same load - big difference in felt recoil and muzzle flip. If you go with Weigand, he can port the gun for you too. I found that shooting the gun seems to smooth the trigger a bit, especially compared to a brand new gun.

I like a bobbed hammer for concealment. Less chance for snags.

What do you think of porting this gun for Self Defense use? On one hand you have the flash, on the other folks say that this gun really benefits from the porting. Amy is very small and could use ammunition with a bit more umph.

I couldn't give you a good recommendation on either based on ammo performance because I don't know exactly how the short barrel and porting effects muzzle velocity/energy. If you have a chronograph or access to one and a ported/nonported gun, I would like to see some hard numbers on how a particular load performs.

I've fired a variety of ported and non-ported guns during the day and at night. I wasn't bothered by the flash from the ports at night when I was shooting. The flash is more clearly visible when I was watching other shooters. Some of this will depend on ammo type.

Have her try .38 +P. I wonder if the performance of a +P load in a non-ported gun approaches the levels of a magnum load in a ported gun?

Back