SP-101 vs. Model 60 in .357 3" barrel?

Dave R

Been looking for a .357 revolver for CCW/fishing trips. Like the 3" barrel better than 2". Looks like my choices are either the Ruger SP-101 or the S&W Model 60.

The Ruger seems a little stronger--cylinder lockup on both ends instead of 1 end. But the Smith has adjustable sights and is an ounce or two lighter, and has a nicer trigger...

You may assume I'm talking "used" here...

Anybody have experience with both? Any strong preferences?

I firmly agree with your choice of the 3" over the 2". The biggest advantage is the full-stroke ejector enabling a clean full ejection of the empties if you need a quick reload. Of secondary importance would be the longer sight radius and recoil-dampening weight out front.

However, I'd seriously reconsider your choice of adjustable sights for a CCW gun. Do you really think they're necessary in a defensive shooting distance? That rear sight blade is a big snag just waiting to happen. For truly concealed work, I'd go with a bobbed hammer, concealed hammer gun or a shrouded hammer gun for the same reason -- less chance on snagging on something when you're trying to draw in a hurry!.

Is a Taurus a posibility? They also have a five shot .357 available, but I'm not sure they still make the three inch version.

Please post us with what your reasons are for your decision when you finally make one! I'm sure we would all benefit from your analysis!

Cougar, the adjustable sights are purely for the pleasure of having POI equal POA. Not necessary for defence, but nice when shooting for pleasure--an important secondary purpose.

I'll use an IWB holster, and have never had a snag problem in the past...

Would definitely consider Taurus, but don't think they make a 3" barrel for their 5-shooter.

I sold my Ruger in favor of my 3" Full lug model 60.

I just like the weight, trigger and sights so much better on the S&W.

I don't shoot alot of .357 loads thru mine, as they are usually launched from my 686 (also 3"), but it does get a fair share of .38 +P.

View

DaveR,

You initally said you were looking at CCW/fishing trip duty. From that I assumed you were not concerned with target use. Yes, for target use it is nice to have adjustable sights for POA=POI. Nice but not necessary. With my fixed sight snubbie, I really don't find it any particular handicap. The POI changes at different ranges anyway, so rather than thinking I am on target by fooling myself with a set (and changing) adjustable sight, I have practiced enough that I know where shot placement will be at various distances. I still shoot small groups with it at any distance! Group size means more to me than being centered in the black at any distance. Group size tells me I have it aligned the same with every shot. From there it is a simple matter to adjust my point of aim.

I have a 3" Taurus .38 that I have owned for a number of years now. I also carry it in a IWB holster or sometimes just 'Mexican' carry. I had to slightly 'dehorn' the sharp corners and edges of the hammer spur to make it more comfortable (ain't stainless great?). Back when I got mine, the CH versions were not available yet, either were the .357s. It was much lighter than the SP101 that was just coming out at the time, and half the price of a Smith.

I'm sorry that Taurus has chosen to forsake us fans of three-inch guns. I am also not a fan of factory porting. I would like to have my own choice, thank-you-very-much!

Your choice will be a personal decision based on what you think should be important. The most important decision has already been made -- you will be armed!

Regards, Cougar

If you're carrying in a belt holster (and with a 3" barrel, you will be...), I don't see any problem with adjustable sights. I certainly agree that for pocket carry, fixed sights (or no rear sights like a S&W 642) is much better.

But I've never had a problem with snags carrying IWB/OWB.

I have a 3" model 60. Got it for when I'm teaching basic pistol classes and have students with shorter fingers. Nice gun. Probably not as stout as an SP101, but you're not going to be shooting a lot of full-house .357Mags through it anyways...

M1911

Can't go wrong with either one.

When I first saw the 3" model 60 in .357 Mag, I had to have it. What a great little gun! I initially wanted it for a trail gun, but have done a lot of pleasure shooting/plinking with it where the adjustable sights have been a real plus.

The Ruger is a stouter gun, but shooting full power .357 in a 24 oz revolver is not fun and you will wear out before the model 60 does.

As to snags, I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Executive Companion IWB and have never had a snag problem. I regularly shoot the model 60 in IDPA back-up gun class, so I would have encountered the snag issue if it existed.

John

I vote for the 3" Smith & Wesson. I liked the first one so much I bought a second just in case they quit making them. I had an SP101 but it's hard to shoot a small gun with such a lousy trigger.

Can I suggest...

a model 65 S&W with 3" barrel. I don't have one yet, but will as soon as I can find one. I always shoot the k-frames better and with much more enjoyment then the j-frames.

If you were just talking about the 5 shot small frame guns, disregard this :)!

Dave,

You probably are aware of this, but Ruger offers their GP100 series in a three-inch barrel. This six - not five - shot revolver and is more durable than either the SP-100 or the Model 60 (IMHO), which may make some difference for fishing trips, etc.

Biath and RWK, I'm really sold on the small size of the 5-shooter (J-frames?). And yes, I will rarely shoot full-house loads. Enough to see which ones the gun prefers, then maybe a few cylinders every other month to "stay current." Will carry full-house. But there will be a lot of plinking/pleasure shooting with .38 spec.

Dave, I'm with Biath on this. I have 3 3-inch K-frames, and for holster carry, I don't think you can do better. Biath, the 3-inch 65 is sweeeeeeet. Mine (my wife's purse gun, actually) has a bobbed hammer, slick trigger and an orange insert inlet in the front sight ramp. I has the Pachmayr compact signature grips. It's in the hunt for being my favorite revo. I predict you'll love it.

Choosing between a 3" SP101 or Model 60.... there is no wrong answer. The 5 shot revolvers are significantly lighter and thinner IMO than medium K & L frames. For an all around general purpose "Kit" gun I think the Model 60 w/adj sights would be a better choice. -- Kernel

Back