SP-101 cylinder thickness? 3" velocities?

Erich

Hi,

After a trip to the range with my wife (detailed in the "Fogey" thread), I'm thinking about getting rid of my Glock 33 in favor of an SP-101 with a 3" bbl. (There are lots of other handguns I'm considering, but this is the one I want to know about.)

Anyone chrono'd loads from the 3" bbl? I want to see what I'd be getting.

Also, anyone know how thick the cylinder of the SP-101 is? Wondering about concealment relative to the 2x4, er, Glock.

Thanks! erich

The sp-101 is supposed to be a good gun. However, it holds half the rounds of your G33 (5 versus 10) and will not put rounds on target as quickly, follow up shots I mean. The G33 is quite easy to conceal really. Have you tried a Sidearmor IWB w/ 15 degree forward cant from http://www.sidearmor.net? It works for me everday.

If your wife will not conceal the weapon, but will only use it for house and range duties, then a GP-100 might be a better weapon for her. It won't kick or flash as much, holds one more round(6), and will be more controlable. Firing .38 wadcutters from it should be easy for her. Holding the weight of the gun at arms length might be the only downside for her if she has small arms.

If ammo cost and kick are really too much with the G33 then maybe look at the G26 9mm. Same size, less kick and it holds one more round than the G33.

Maybe you can save a little extra and keep your glock and get her a revolver. You might be better off getting her the DA .22 revolver she wants until she decideds she likes shooting. Even the recoil of a .38 might push a new shooter away. Ruger makes the sp-101 in .22lr.

Goodluck,

Kilgor

Back