South Dakota prairie dog hunt.

pitter

Inactive
I'm looking to try and do a South Dakota prairie dog hunt in June 2013. Does anyone have any good info on how to get started (never done it before). It sou d's like the good places to hunt are all private land. Any help on connections would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Should be a buyers' market this coming season. The price of fuel and ammo may put a kink in some shooters' budgets.

Contact this gun shop for local shooting near Rapid City. You'll have to pay a tresspass fee to landowner; free places to shoot are no more.

Jack First: 605 343 8481

Jack

Buy a map from South Dakota Fish and Game that shows public and private land. Go to Google Earth put in the coordinates of public land, you can see the mounds in the photos.

SD has over 5 million acres of public and private land leased. We have 3 national grasslands, walk in, state land and school lands. With all that land out there I'm sure you can find a dog town or two. http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/

You don't need to pay anyone to shoot prairie dogs. Get yourself some maps. Contact the 3 National Grasslands and ask them. Also they do close down dog shooting during a certain time of the year on the grasslands.

Hunting in SD

Was going to SD for prairie dog hunt with my 2 sons can anyone help with a place to go.Or maybe recommend some way of talking to land owners about permission. we are looking for this to happen in June or July

I wouldn't call going after prairie dogs a hunt. More like a shoot... Bring a table, chairs to use as a stable shooting platform. It isn't a glass and stalk kind of thing, more like sit and wait for them to pop up out of their holes...

Back