South African PMP or Sellier & Bellot .223?

DougB

I'm planning to order 1,000 rounds of .223 ammo. I can get either of these for the same price (about $160/1,000). I'll be using it in ARs (16" & 20"). I've used about 500 rounds of the South African (new, commercial, brass case, boxer primed). Worked fine. I've also shot a couple of boxes of the S&B. Both are 55gr FMJ bullets. Anyone have experiences or recommendations regarding which I should order? I'm looking for reliability and accuracy. Low muzzle flash would also be nice.

I'd also consider other brands, although I'm not much interested in the Russian steel case, or in the cheap surplus ammo-if that means sacrificing reliability. Your experiences and recommendations will be appreciated.

Doug

Doug, I have used the PMP and the S&B ammo that you mentioned with good results. I usally go shooting with a group of guys that all have .223s( Bolt,Single Shot & Semi Auto)and the above metioned brands are considered good/reliable for the cheap stuff. I have not used the Russian ammo. We did have some problems with some PMC recently, Primer strike and no bang so we will be staying away from it.

Good Luck

I have used plenty of Russian steel cased ammo and I can tell you that they are not that bad at least in my experience. Since my local gunshop carries a hell of alot of Russian .223 I use it quite often. I will say that I have at one time had a primer strike and no bang. Although this has also happened once using winchester shotgun shells. It is something that may happen to any particular load by just about any company name. :)

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

There was some discussion recently over at the AR15.com ammunition discussion forum about these brands and others. One of the guys did some extensive testing including chrono readings. You may want to check over there. Also I have heard that 'steel cased' Russian ammo is not good for ARs and in fact Bushmaster will void your warranty if you use it.

Doug-S&B is loaded with a single base propellant which contributes to a LOW muzzle flash.I have shot a ton of it through my 1911's in .45acp which is what led me to try it in .223 for my 16" AR.About 500 rds. into the current case I have been extremely satisfied;having a 16" & being forced into shooting in reduced light of the winter afternoons led me in a search for a low flash ammo as well.It is the best I've found so far & seems to group as well as most of the rest I've tried.

Back