Soupbowl wood stock conversions on postban AK's?

I have a Soupbowl stock kit on my AK. The wood is a lot better than OEM AK stuff. My only complaints are this, the forearm is not drilled for the cleaning rod,I had to do this myself. Also the wood does not follow the exact pattern of the original wood. The internals seem to be holding up fine. The hammer is shaped a little different than the original and gets to looking pretty beat up. This has caused 0 problems to date and Wes has told me he will replace if it does.

Hope this helps

Later
Daren

I have Walnut wood. At the time I think that was all that was offered. I did however refinish the wood. I looks good when it comes, but I wanted mine to shine. So I sanded it smooth, finished it dark, and then put a shiny polyuthane on it and I was pleased with the looks.

Later
Daren

Thanks again Daren. Looks like this is the way to go. I guess if the internals don't have the longevity you can always replace the stock and put the old ones back in.

This is my personal opinion and has no legal basis. BUT I have been told that if you refinish your original AK wood and then stamp USA on it you now have a US made peice of wood. Why not just refinish your original hammer? This is not BATF approved and only might hold up in court,but might work. The best bet is to get and use the right kit. $150 is a lot less than lawyer fees to test my theory.

Later
Daren

Back