Sorry, we can't give legal advice......

• Thread starter Thread starter olazul
  • Start date Start date
O

olazul

You gotta love Kalifornia. I wanted to make sure a preban colt sporter I am buying is legal in the state. So, silly me, I called the Ca. dept of justice(assault weapons division) and asked them. Their reply was "Sorry, we can't give legal advice, all I can tell you is the weapons on the ban list are illegal". Well Colt AR15 is on the list, but I wanted to make absolutely positively sure that as long as the lwr did not have "AR15" printed on it I was OK(this is what I have been told by my FFL). I got a great deal and I am buying the weapon but man...... our tax dollars at work.
If I didn't love the ocean, sushi, and avocados so much........ :)

I feel a little better now

Olazul

Ola,

I'd like you to meet over a dozen other states that have oceans, sushi and avocados.... Of course, a few of them are almost as goofy (or goofier.. ie- New Jersey) as kalifornia.. seom of them are much, much better!

------------------
-Essayons

Here in my county in California, an accused criminal offered to pay his defense attorney with his firearms collection. Part of the collection was a AK-47 variant held by the sheriff. The attorney appeared at the sheriff's office with a bill of sale and demanded the rifle. The sheriff refused because he believed it was an AK-47 and banned by the Roberti-Roos law.
The Attorney said it wasn't an AK-47, but something else. An AKM, AKS, or other variations are not included in the ban. The sheriff refused and the attorney took the sheriff to court. I was asked, since I was the resident firearms guru in the department, if I would testify whether or not the rifle was an AK-47 and thus subject to the ban. I refused. I suggested the department get a Department of Justice expert to testify. I was told the sheriff asked for one, but DOJ didn't have any.
The superior court judge said the rifle was an AK-47 variant and the attorney couldn't have it. The ruling was appealed and the Fifth District Appelate Court said the superior court judge erred because the judge didn't have any expert witnesses to evaluate and the judge himself didn't establish any expertise from which to make his decisiion. The appeals court told the sheriff to give the rifle to the attorney. The sheriff refused, which meant the attorney would have to get a formal Writ of Mandamus. I don't know what happened after that.
Yes, California is full of fruits and nuts.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Back