sooo confused on CT gun law

Status
Not open for further replies.

sosky

Inactive
hi, i am a 16 y.o new york resident and i was wondering if i could legally own and fire a .22 ruger 10/22 rifle at the range. the range is in CT and they have lockers there where i can keep the rifle. is this legal for someone of my age to do? is a permit nessesary for a rifle?

also, if you could, please link to a site where you got your information

1. What does the range say?

2. Did you search the laws of CT and NY?

3. I thought you young kids were good with that newfangled computer stuff.

Let us know what you find out. Seriously, you should use the Google for the official state sites on the Internets as you can't trust legal advice for our low price.

1) i am trying to find out all i can on the internet first, the i will call to confirm it is legal
2) i have searched for an hour and i didn't find anything.
on http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

No permit or certificate is required to buy, possess, or carry long guns. But people cannot possess them, if they (1) were ever convicted of a felony or serious juvenile offense, (2) cannot legally possess firearms under federal law because they have been adjudicated as “mental defectives” or have been committed to a mental institution, or (3) know they are under a firearms seizure or restraining or protective order for using or threatening to use violence against someone else. State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns.

nothing about age there

State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns. A junior firearms hunting license may be issued to a child between ages 12 and 16 (CGS § 26-27a). (Federal law prohibits FFLs from selling or transferring long guns to people under age 18. But it does not address sales or transfers by nondealers or possession by minors (18 USC § 922(b) and 27 CFR § 478. 99(b)(1)).

very unclear

btw thanks for the reply

Last edited:
My interpretation of the information you provided is that there really isn't a minimum age to simply possess a rifle or shotgun, but federal law dictates that one must be 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. However if you're from NY, it may be more important for you to look up legislation regarding the transportation of firearms across state lines.

hi,

i would by the rifle from a 3rd party seller, since that is apparently legal according the the site i linked to before.

and i don't expect that i will ever need to take the rifle into new york, that i could just leave it in a locker at the range.

Technically, there is no way for you to legally purchase the gun in CT. Must be 18 to purchase the gun here. Parents can buy it and then give it to you, but a third party buying a gun and giving it to you is asking for problems. What range are you talking about that would allow you to leave a gun in a locker? And what range allows a 16 year old to shoot without an adult present? You can't even buy ammo here until you are 18.

hi,
i would by the rifle from a 3rd party seller, since that is apparently legal according the the site i linked to before.
and i don't expect that i will ever need to take the rifle into new york, that i could just leave it in a locker at the range.

You, as a resident of New York, cannot buy or receive as a gift a rifle from a private party who is a resident of any other state. You would have to buy or receive as a gift the rifle from another New York resident. Federal law prohibits private party sales and gifts of all firearms across state lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back