Son's first turkey!

lockedcj7

Went hunting last weekend on youth day and we had a great time sitting in the rain. This morning was windy and cool but it worked out. Not a bad first turkey for a 12 y.o. boy. 10" beard with 1" spurs, 20 ga. 11-87 using 3", #4s. He's eating fried tenderloins as I type.

100_2015_zpsqj7kyk28.jpg

100_2014_zpsyvjllvr2.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words. He is a really happy kid virtually all the time which makes him a joy to be around. Two birds came in and blocked each other from closing to within range for what seemed like forever. At one point he whispered, "this is so exciting!" He was happy the week before when we sat in the rain without seeing or hearing anything and even told me how much fun he had.

memories

Glad for both of you. Bamaboy killed his first at age 16, and I remember it more clearly than any of my own. Both of you have made a memory for a lifetime.

Wishing for many more seasons together for both of you.

The smile says it all. Some of the best memories I have are with my boys and turkey hunting, both from days we came home empty handed, and days we had a bird in the back of the truck. Kudos to your boy and his nice First Tom!

Sweet!

Sweet. Can't wait til grand kids are old enough!

And I guess I need to read up on butchering a turkey. I didn't know they had tenderlioins.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I don't know the official name for that part of the bird but the 'tenderloins' are the tender finger of breast meat that rides closest to the junction between the keel and ribs.

For those who've never cooked wild turkey, it doesn't cook anything like a Butterball. I use wild turkey in recipes that call for pork roast or chops and they turn out great. I've never been able to make anything good out of the legs and thighs but I have a friend who wants to try smoking.

Back