Son's first pistol S&W 64-3

subhuman

S&W 64-3
youngest son said dad I want a revolver, I said the Evil Pawn Shop has one I took him , he fondled and said "mine" so he now own this smooth as butah model 64 4" heavy barrel beauty
LKv30SH.jpg

ZEygiJi.jpg

mG1m4Vt.jpg

first 6 shots for me at 7 yards to see where it shot 130 gr UMC FMJ
yPW1KQz.jpg

then i pulled over on the 3" target and shot 6 DA with that oh so smooth trigger and turnend in this group ,2 in same hole to the right , the other 4 where you see them, the one under the barrel is an earlier shot
i81SG0t.jpg

His groups was getting smaller fast before the box ran empty he is tickled to death with it, price tag was $459 but with my Subhuman discount he got it for $400 OTD after taxes

HJSaNcf.jpg

Last edited:
sorry about the huge pictures but I don't know how to edit them down, will a moderator please fix them for me, thank you

woohoo I figured it out:D

Last edited:
Excellent choice....now he needs to go grip shopping!

While wood grips might look better, those Hogues feel nice in the hand and even though they look somewhat ordinary, I like them and would just leave them on.

While wood grips might look better, those Hogues feel nice in the hand and even though they look somewhat ordinary, I like them and would just leave them on.

+1 on this. I “upgraded” to wood grips on the first S&W revolver I bought, a 686, and regretted it the first time I shot it with them. I just couldn’t get a compfortable and controllable grip. The original Hogues were put back on very quickly and I’ve never looked back.

The gun is meant to be shot, not looked at.

He has good taste, very nice revolver there! And to me it looks "proper" with the Hogues on it. Is it of the rubber-type or the hard-nylon material?

You just can't go wrong with a K-frame .38.

Good choice. I like the Hogues on it too. I like the white metal/black grip contrast, plus the Hogues offer great purchase for shooting.

The only wood grips that look "right" to me on something like a 64 are the stock Magna's. Then you have to add a grip adapter (at least I do). That's at least $50-60 bucks extra. Spend it on ammo.

Great Choice...

That 64 is a great choice for a first handgun. They shoot smoothly and very comfortable in the hand for me at least. tom. :D

If...IF.... he never bought another handgun, he is well prepared to defend his life and the lives of loved ones for the rest of his life.

A 3-4 inch K frame in .38 Special or .357 Magnum is pretty much the quintessential self defense gun.

I’m a gunslinger/instructor/collector/gun nut/gun toter of the first order and, I often carry a 3” 65 and feel well armed.

I'll disagree that the grips must only feel good and their look doesn't matter -- that's phooey in my world, my guns are a complete visceral experience and the way they look is part of that experience.

If he likes the fit, feel and look, then he is good to go.

I hate the way that particular Hogue looks. For a similar feel (and some would say a similar look) I prefer the Pachmayr SK-G, that's the "Gripper." And to be honest, there is one I like even more for feel, and that is the Uncle Mike's grip.

The one that I probably hate the most, for fit and feel, is the original wood Magna stocks. Those were horrendous, and it seems in my travels like very few actually liked using them.

Back