Sonic cleaner at home for gun cleaning?

Depends on the size of the parts you're looking to clean. I don't recommend spending $400 on a cleaner to do entire AR uppers, you're better off removing the gas port and bolt carrier in a smaller sonic cleaner that costs half as much.

I have one of the full-sized Lyman ultrasonic cleaners in my shop. It works fantastic. That said, most people have no need for a $1,500 ultrasonic cleaner able to accept a regular rifle barreled action or a solid framed shotgun (38" long). There are a couple of units intended and marketed for home shops, they will accept about 12" x 9" parts, so you could fit a AR lower or a 44 Mag revolver into it.

Lots of reason not to use one for firearms. Newer finishes, night sights, scopes, time to disassemble and reassemble, expense of cleaning solutions and the list goes on.

I do use my L&R cleaner for antique clock movement repair work requiring total disassembly. I also use it for cleaning my firearms brass prior to reloading.

L&R does have a section at their web site on the use of ultra sonics for firearm cleaning. It sounds like a good idea for repair shops and larger law enforcement agencies. I would not use it as just a dunk tank for cleaning whole guns.

Dunk tanks . That reminds me , our door gunner's use to clean their 60's buy soaking them in a drum of JP4 .

Back