Some USPSA Revolver goodness (hatcam vids)

Really fun videos, thanks for posting.

I should have my wife shoot a video of me on my first match, I'm sure it'll make you feel better about yourself, hehehe.

Very nice; I can't help but think that I would have gone to single-action on those tiny plates through the barrel, and save the DA for the closer targets on the rest of the course.

thanks!

It's better to keep consistent with shooting a revolver in competition instead of switching actions. Just stick to one and practice the heck out of it. Some of the nicer speedier revolvers being used by top shooters have the hammer spur cut off, to allow the trigger pull to be lightened. with those guns you can't cock the hammer back manually and essentially becomes a double action only revolver.

No doubt that it would be nice to be able to hit everything at every range at top speed using DA, but there's a point of diminishing returns where SA becomes a nice tool in your toolbox; is it better to add a 1/4 of a second by thumbing back the hammer and HITTING what you're aiming at with 1 shot, or is it better to essentially "practice" during a match, by dumping 2 or 3 close shots to a plate, and adding 2 or 3 reloads to your run time? By all means, practice DA until you can call your shots on a plate out past 40 yards, but once you hit that point of diminishing returns, you're punishing yourself for not using the best tool available to you.

Yowzer - those were some tough shots. :eek:

Normally, it's double action all the way, but if you're more accurate in single action, this is one of the rare times where it might be appropriate.

That said, experience tells me that misses on those very tough shots are more from nerves and rushing the shot rather than bona fide DA trigger control issues. IOW, keep your head together, 'cause a nice light SA trigger ain't gonna help you if you don't.

Last edited:
Back