Some questions on my new 9mm USP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKKiddo

I recently bought an HK USP 9mm Full size off of my cousin for $400 and he has only put 500 rounds to it. The first question is what are some good 9mm self defense rounds? Also, on the HK site I saw something about a 9mm to .40 caliber conversion. If they do not sell it, what would I need to buy? (i mainly want the .40 caliber conversion so I can use 357 sig) Has anyone heard about putting a USP expert or match trigger in the standard USP? You know how the competition USP's have the barrel o-ring, do they make one for the 9mm? The last and final question :): What type of Laser would you guys recommend?
Thanx for any help!

[This message has been edited by HKKiddo (edited November 25, 1999).]

I usually use winchester for practice, but dont know what to get for my combat ammo. Any answers, or comments to my original post are greatly welcomed. Thanx

IIRC the caliber conversions for the USP are sold only in Europe, not the USA. I think US lawyers have them spooked?

Good luck on the 357 conversion in the full size gun; everybody I know who has done it reports the guns are NOT reliable enough to bet your life on at all! Problem may be the mags.

The compacts seem to work better in the 357 conversion. Even then, HK says the mags are different and do NOT swap ammo, but I know people who report the 40 mags work fine.

HK will NOT sell you a 357 compact barrel for your 40 BTW, and dropping an aftermarket barrel in the gun WILL void your warranty, if that matters to you (if you tell them that is).

I don't think there is as much difference between the various 9mm loads as some do. Expansion is best with the 115 Silvertip, Federal 9BP, std GS. The 124 Nyclad, HS, HS +P+, GS +P, Gold Dot, GD +P get you a little more penetration.

Triton's new ammo has much less flash if ya want the really fast stuff. Buyer beware on CorBon; pressures are known to be excessive from time to time in the 9mm, no way to tell until it's too late for most people.

Bluegrass Armory www.bgarmory.com/ sells the Federal 115 PBPLE +P+ and the 124 HS +P+.

------------------
>>>>---->

Congrats, HKkiddo--I, too bought a USP9f a number of months ago, and I absolutely love the gun!!!

RE: ammunition. I currently use Georgia Arms' 9mm 115gr JHP. I bought a case (1000rds) for $171--quite a deal, burns even and clean, and is quite accurate. (go give them a visit at www.georgia-arms.com )

Winchester SXT 9mm 147gr is also an excellent load. Can't go wrong with Cor-Bon or Triton, either. The only downside to their loads is the price. Practicing with them is not very cost-effective.

I've discovered the USP will eat just about anything, but try to avoid the cheap, russian milsurp ammo if you can. It's dirty, smelly, and you will spend more time cleaning the gunk it leaves behind.

Also, if you want more information regarding the USP, visit the unofficial USP page at www.streetpro.com/usp . There, you'll also find a link to the HK-L email list, which is a great group of guys knowledgeable in just about anything HK.

jth

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

[This message has been edited by Ulfilas (edited November 26, 1999).]

Thanx for the help guys, i already subscribesd to the HK-L mailing list. Also i probably will not change my caliber, because of what you guys say. Well im getting an 18 round magazine, so if 18 rounds isnt enough, ill give the BG my gun ;).I am leaning to the gold dot and triton type of ammo for the 9mm self defense. I am still interested in having a real nice trigger and has anyone heard about putting USP expert or match trigger in the standard USP? Also, you know how the competition USP's have the barrel o-ring, do they make one for the 9mm? Are the sig style bar sites available for the USP?
Thanx for any help!

HKKiddo, the HK match trigger is good but its expensive at over $100. You may want to try this cheap tip first. The USP trigger (match or standard)can be made significantly smoother by a healthy blast of Remington Dry Lube in the small notch in the base of the hammer. I also use the dry lube on the trigger assembly. I do this to all my USPs periodically and don't feel the need to upgrade to a match trigger anymore. Congratulations on a great pistol. I hope this helps!

Thanx for the tip antonio, ill try then when i get some of that! I just went to the gunshow today and saw a 15 round clip for 80 bux, for that price i can get 2 to 3 10 rounders. I feel 10 rounds is plenty. I bought a fanny pack for it which fits perfectly. Also, i bought a brand new cleaning kit and some combat ammo. I only found gold dots by speer, no proloads or georgia arms. I got 50 of those 124 grain +P for $17. I also bought some triton quik shok in 115 +p for $12 for 20. Thanx for the help guys. Just two more question. Do they have the mark23/match/tactical style barrel o ring for the 9mm? Also, when i put a fully loaded 10 round magazine, it kind of wobbles, but not much, is this a problem?Thanx

[This message has been edited by HKKiddo (edited November 27, 1999).]

RE: Magazine "wobble." Nope, not unusual at all. It's because the follower in the magazine isn't pressed up against that little part of the slide release lever (which would push the lever up to catch the notch on the left side of your slide, leaving the chamber open after shooting your last round). That little extra spring tension, which seems to make an empty magazine sit more firmly in the well, kicks the magazine out when you push the mag release lever.

Did anyone answer your question about the laser sight? Apart from the accessory shown on streetpro (that nifty combination laser, tactical light, and IR laser that's made to fit on the rails--drooldrooldrool), Beamshot offers some pretty inexpensive (around $100-$200) laser sights for the USP. Find them at www.appliedlaser.com

------------------
Exodus 22:2 -- Biblical precedent for home defense.

[This message has been edited by Ulfilas (edited November 27, 1999).]

Thanx for the help guys. All my questions have been answered but 2. Do they have the mark23/match/tactical style barrel o ring for the 9mm? Also, when i put a fully loaded 10 round magazine, it kind of wobbles, but not much, is this a problem? Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back