some Mosin 91/30 questions

Ervin

Cannot believe how cheap this piece of history is...anyways I got a Tula 1943 rifle and Id like to know how many of these surplus rifles have actually seen combat. They seem undamaged. 1943 was a turbulent year

and is there a way to re-paint the scratches on the stock and handguard?

I have a couple mosin's and I have a few wood stain touch-up pens that work perfectly for small nicks, repairs, etc. I have been very pleased with how well they work.

A lot of them are refurbished and in excellent shape. I have two of them a 1942 91/30 and a 1944 M38 carbine, both are fantastic shooters. Refurbished or not, they are worth it to pick one up and shoot it. I would suggest you put a recoil pad on it, you will save your shoulder a lot of grief.

I am Sure alot of them Saw Combat, especially if you get an Ex Sniper.
I have a Mosin Tula Hex, 1933 That is Tripple Dated, and MO Marked, that I bought for my Son, I believe it was used by armed guards, and not fought with. Its in Beautifull Condition and a great shooter.
I am getting ready to buy another one for myself, as I just love the Rifles.
Also like the MN 39 Model.

You mentioned recoil, I had a Limbsaver on my 38 for a while, but discovered the bare stock hurts less with it off. Probably fits my shoulder better, not sure.

@zombieslayer
that just might stop my worrying, thanks. Does this stuff last or does it wipe off after sometime?

Most of the refurbished rifles have shellac on them. Some of them have the finish flaking off. I have one that falls into that category. There are ways to fix them and some people strip and BLO them. It's up to you. I have not attempted to fix mine.

TK

Yeah amazing rifle for the costs. I found a place called Royal Tiger Imports ( www.royaltigerimports.com ) 888-968-4437 that have them for $69 and M44's for $129 and they come with the standard accessory pack of a sling with dog collars, oiler, ammo pouch, solvent can of some sort (have gotten both the round and the square in the same order), cleaning jags, bayonet and flat tool. They charge $20 extra for Hex receivers and the turned down bolt 91's are $119.00. They even had (not sure if they still do) have Finnish M39's and Polish Radom models at really decent prices.

Gunbroker has a ton of Mosins and accessories. I got the stainless steel charger strips and opted for a muzzle brake on my M44 as it truly tames the recoil and blast by about 40%. I made a scout out of my M44 and added a scout scope/mount, rubber butt plate, lapped the bolt and barrel, trigger job to include a slack spring addition. Excellent shooter and handles really well.

I have really enjoyed shooting the Chk 47 grain hollow core training ammo (round nose/grey tipped). Out to 150 yards it has great ballistics but really fades from there. The recoil is close to 3/4 less and when using the brake, it is a dream to shoot, almost like shooting a .22 magnum.

I also installed the .22lr conversion kit from Hunters Lodge (have no idea if they still have them anymore) on one of the 91/30's I have. It is a full length barrel insert with a .22lr chamber. The barrel insert is offset to allow the centerfire firing pin to fire the rimfire. You also have to exchange the extractor to the one in the conversion kit. It makes it a single shot, but still fun and the conversion kit when I got it was just $75.

One of the best and easiest ways to get a refinished look on Mosins is:

1. Get some denatured alcohol at home depot or where ever.

2. Using a soft NON linting rag, saturate the rag with the denatured alcohol.

3. LIGHTLY rub with the grain and the intent is to move and redistribute (NOT Remove) the arsenal shellac finish. This will automatically do your touch ups and create a top finish as well.

4. After redistributing the finish, allow to dry for a day or two. Then use a thinned linspeed/linseed oil. This provides an excellent refinish without having to strip and redo it. The denatured alcohol will also raise minor dents while doing the redistribution. This is also the method to restoring older split bamboo rods that have had shellac laid on them. Makes em look just like new.

I use minwax wood finish stain markers, and have fixed spots in the finish that have come off. Apply one light coat at a time till you get the color right- they make different stains too. Has worked well for me on mine. They get quite a bit of use at times.

If you google "mosin nagant butt pads" you will see several suppliers of "made to fit" MN pads. I shoot 91/30 & 44...sometimes heavy ball. These pads are ~$15 each and worth every penny. I don't get a kick...out of kick...anymore. You young bucks get some Polish steel core heavy ball and have at it!

Back