some kind of extraction problem?

BAB

Hi all,

Let me set this up by saying that I don't know much about auto-loaders and the various mechanisms involved (but I'm learning), and that I've only had the Mini-14 in question for about 5 months now.

Okay, now, here's the problem. Yesterday I took the Mini out to the range. I fired about 100 rounds. In four or five instances, I had a jam. What happened was that the round fed from the magazine fine, fired fine, but upon extraction the spent case didn't clear quick enough, the end result being that the bolt closed on the spent case, jamming it open and mangling the open end of the case.

Any ideas on what went wrong, and how I might try and correct things?

Thanks!

90% of all firearms malfunctions are attributable to dirty firearms. Clean and lubricate your Mini. Be sure that the chamber is clean since a dirty or rough chamber impedes extraction. Use an old toothbrush and clean beneath the claw extractor on the bolt face. More drastically, the gas piston may need to be cleaned too (however, the factory does not recommend the disassembly of the gas block).

Poor extraction may also be attributed to underpowered ammunition. There may not be enough energy to function the action. If the problem persists with a clean gun, try a different brand of ammo.

Another possibility may be that the Mini is not supported enough. Think of it as the rifle/carbine version of the limp wrist when the gun isn't held firmly enough.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Thanks Gary. In light of what you wrote, I'm leaning towards the under-powered ammo problem, since the gun was clean to start with. Though I didn't note which ammo I was using at the time of each failed extraction (I should have though), I was using three different brands, one of which I've never used in the past, while the other two I've used with no past problems. I'll be sure to keep track next time.

BAB - what type of ammo was the new type? Let us know if that was the problem, so I can avoid it in my Mini!

Morgan,

Though I've yet to go back to the range to determine whether the ammo was the likely problem, the brand I brought along that day that I've never used before was PMC 55gr. FMJ-BT.

Back