Some guys have all the luck ...

pax

For discussion, from http://www.cincypost.com/sports/hunter110900.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Teen bags 9-point buck first time out

By Bob Queenan, Post contributor

David Patrick Marion Webster of Crittenden, Ky., will go hunting Saturday with his older brother and a couple of friends. It will be the second hunting trip of the 14-year-old Dry Ridge Middle School student's life.

He hopes it turns out as well as the first.

On Oct. 22, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources allowed two days of youth hunting with guns, so youngsters such as David could develop an enthusiasm for the sport. It was a day he won't forget.

''We started out at 5 in the morning and hunted until about 11 that day at a friend's farm,'' Webster said. ''At first, I didn't think we'd see anything - no deer, for sure. I had a 12-gauge shotgun with a slug in it instead of shot.

''My brother, Mike, was sleeping, and all of a sudden I woke him up. I had to. There was a big deer about 30 or 40 yards away from us. I was so nervous that my hands started shaking and I could hardly aim the gun. I fired, hit him in the back leg, then we went out and I shot him and killed him.''

David's target was a nine-point buck, an unusual trophy for a first-time hunter.

''We dragged him to the pickup, took a bunch of pictures of him and registered him,'' the youngster said. ''He weighed over 150 pounds.

''We took him up to a processing plant in Corinth and had the meat cut up into steaks and ground hamburger-like meat, and the deer was delicious. They said at the plant he was the biggest deer in the freezer. You know, my brother Mike's been hunting for years and never bagged a deer.''

Webster, who will start ninth grade at Grant County High School next fall, said his next target is to bag a doe.
[/quote]

Not to brag, but...well, yeah, to brag! My son got his first buck at age 6, and then repeated it the following year at age 7.

The first year we climbed a mountain over a bedded buck and then he shot him from about ten yards hanging over a ledge and shooting straight down.
The next year, he killed a fat little buck with a nice shot at about 100-125 yards. He's been "dry" the last two years but in a way, I'm glad. He was starting to think it was easy.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back