some cowboy style shooting and target practice

Pretty good accuracy. If you are going to shoot with two hands, try cocking with your left thumb. That way you don't lose your firing grip between shots.

Because of the way single action revolvers are designed, it takes a conscious effort to keep your finger off the trigger when drawing and handling the gun.

Do you expect better answers here posting under this name than in your other post under Ottobot in the revolver section?

Either name, the shooting needs work & your videos are pretty bad.
Denis

You need ALOT more practice. You have a tendency of waving the pistol around which is very unsafe. Watch your muzzle direction.

In the lead up to the shooting portion you made the comment that it was usually prescribed to brush out the barrel when changing cylinders to improve accuracy. While that may well be a practice in bullseye or precision revolver matches, in the 15 years I've been shooting cap& ball revolvers in competition, I cannot remember ever seeing a competitor in a Cowboy Action Shooting match doing it. Not saying nobody does it; just I don't recall ever seeing it.

And if you're getting your tutoring from the owner of your brother's dog, it'd be a good idea to pay a little less attention to him & more to those who know more. :)

Fingers has addressed the barrel swab idea neatly.
I don't have spare cylinders for my lone Remington, but I've shot a fair amount of successive shots through it & various Colt copies.

I've never bothered to swab a bore during any shooting session.
Lubed wads between powder & ball, or the messy method of packing the empty space in front of the ball with a grease of some type in each chamber if you want to bother with that, generally keeps the fouling soft enough that it doesn't materially affect accuracy.

It COULD be an issue IF you're going for absolute target-grade accuracy in a match of some sort, but for your type of shooting, it's not worth the effort.

I don't clean anything on my percussions during a shooting session unless the cylinder starts to gum up & rotation gets stiff.

Re that, use a good lube on your cylinder pin & it should get you through a bunch of shots, even in switching through four or five different cylinders.
Make SURE you DO NOT USE A PETROLEUM-BASED GREASE OR PASTE-TYPE LUBE on that cylinder pin.

And DO NOT USE OR LEAVE A PETROLEUM-BASED OIL INSIDE YOUR BORE OR CHAMBERS AFTER CLEANING.
Denis

I watched the video all the way through . . .

Just have a couple of comments.

1st. I've shot BP for 50+ years - a lot of it SA. If you use a good BP lube, there is absolutely no reason to have to "brush" the bore between cylinders. I have shot both Colts (1851 & 1861 Navies, 1860 Armies, 1862 Pocket Police and Remingtons) and can easily shoot many cylinders of shots without fouling problems or cylinder/cylinder pin fouling issues.

2nd You really need to take some handgun safety classes from a good instructor. You mention "Rule 3" yet violate that rule almost every time you draw your hand gun. "Bad habits" are hard to break and easily carried over from one gun to another. You also need to pay attention to where your muzzle points. Sorry, but if you showed up on a range that I was shooting at . . . I'd either notify the range officer is there was one or say something to yu about your finger not he trigger all the time . . and then leave.

You mentioned in your video that you are a "reenact". I reenacted for many years and regardless of "blank loads" . . . the same safety rules apply. Too often, folks with no experience buy a firearm and then never get any safety training. I not only reenacted but have shot RB, N-SSA, etc. as well as full size Civil War artillery - in reenacting and "live fire" situations. Accidents DO HAPPEN and 99.9% of the time, they are preventable. I have also seen fatal accidents associated with improper handling and neglect of basic safety rules.

My comments are not meant to be cruel . . . they are meant to make you aware that you need to develop "safe practices" . . and the first is get that #@$%^@ finger of yours off of the trigger! And I disagree with the comment made that because of the design of the SA revolver, it's hard not to have your finger on the trigger. Hogwash! Drawing a SA is no different than drawing a DA revolver or a semi-auto . . . you draw using the three outer fingers and thumb wrapped around the grip and your index trigger finger straight out and along side the trigger and trigger guard . . . NOT on the trigger. That is all learned by practice, practice and more practice and training you mind and muscles until it is second nature.

For those that disagree with that . . . if you are in the habit of drawing a SA or DA revolver with your finger on the trigger . . . and you carry a semi-auto, such as a 1911 Colt, etc. that is "cocked and locked" . . . imagine yourself pulling it from the holster . . . your finger on the trigger as you raise up and are sweeping the safety off . . . in a SD situation, you could easily have a discharge with the results of killing someone without intending to because your weapon went off before you intended it to.

Be safe . . . get some training and practice please.

Very good accuracy in your shooting.

A couple of things:

The finger on the trigger has already been noted.

There are actually four basic firearm safety rules:

1) Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
2) Never point the firearm at anything you don't wish to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4) Know your target and what lies behind it.

Also, I note that you are using pre-loaded chambers that appear to be pre-capped!.

That is potentially dangerous. If you drop a loaded and capped cylinder on the ground it can easily land on a cap and set off one or more loaded chambers.

Always cap on the gun.

As for cleaning the barrel, I swab mine after every 6 shots in competition. I don't know that it is necessary but the key to accurate shooting is consistency so I start off every target with a clean barrel.

If you drop a loaded and capped cylinder on the ground it can easily land on a cap and set off one or more loaded chambers.

:rolleyes:

If you dropped six twelve gauge shells, one could easily fall on the primer... If I carry a spare cylinder, it will be loaded.

Yes your shot gun primers are more exposed. A Remey cylinder would have to land on a pointed rock just right,what are the odds. One of you guys with all of those extra cylinders should cap an empty one and drop it on a rock pile and see how many times it will take to strike a cap.

Back