Solving an irritating problem

BourbonCowboy

About a year ago, I decided to upgrade the scope on my old Winchester Model 100. After some research, I decided to go with a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 (V-Brite model). I took it to a somewhat local sporting goods store and dropped it and the rifle off for mounting. Unfortunately, this was in the middle of the COVID crap, and I got a lot of excuses as to why the project was taking so long to complete. After about 4 months, I went back to the store and got my rifle and scope - still unmounted. I put the scope on a shelf and decided to wait.

Then I took another look at the scope that was mounted on the rifle. It wasn't that bad, so I decided to scrap the project. This led me to my problem: I had a scope sitting on a shelf, taunting me, without a rifle attached to it. Eventually, I had to do something with the scope. My wife suggested that I sell it, and I thought about it.

To make a long story shorter, I'm now awaiting the arrival of a Ruger 10-22. I had one when I was a kid, but it was stolen. Yeah, the scope is probably overkill for a .22LR, but at least I'll get some use out of it.

Problem solved.

+2, -1

Firstly, the M100 is a neat old school rifle, walnut and blue steel, with wonderful sleek lines, and I've always thought they were very handsome rigs. Never owned one, but I've got my Grandad's M88, the autoloaders manually operated cousin.

Next, the Ruger 10/22 is one of those rifles that everybody (within limits of course) should have. Reliable, accurate and a great many accessories exist to customize easily should that be ones interest. The triggers in the new rifles are a bit rough, but options exist for that too.

Lastly, swapping a scope out, when rings and bases are already in place, is no big deal. Any outfit that could not do that PDQ, crisis or not, is not worth giving much business.

Hmmm--I'd never get that excited about a crossfire to begin with, but whatever it takes to get a new rifle does work for me.:D

They say that it's hard to get good help, and from my experiences, I have to concur. Therefore, I usually do most things myself when it has to be done right.

The 10/22 will need a rimfire scope, not a centerfire scope. Parallax settings are different; rimfire scopes are set to be parallax free at 50 yds, centerfire scopes at 75-100 yds.

IDK Scorch, I have a center fire 4.5-14x40 on my 10/22. Mind you I stay under 100 yards with my shots, but I have NOT run into the parallax issues you speak of. My 2 cents. Your results of course may differ.

Years ago, I modified a Bausch & Lomb scope base to fit my 10-22.

Then I stuck my BalVar 8 on the Ruger and got teased about a $150 scope on a $54.00 rifle.

Finally sold the scope and the modified mount and put an aperture rear and a globe front and there it has remained.

LOVE it!

:)

You don't need a rimfire scope on a .22LR especially if you have a Adjustable Objective or a focus adjustment. My 10-22 has a 36X Weaver on it. The receiver is the only Ruger part remaining. Everything else has been upgraded.

If you are target shooting for accuracy, you want to aim small to hit small.
My aim point with a T-36 is less than 1/10 of an inch at 50 yards. No question if you are aiming at exactly the same POA every time.

I have Weaver T-36s on my Cooper 57M, and my Kidd as well.

I did an analysis of the changes in accuracy based upon scope magnification power.
I started with 9 X, switched to 15X, then switched to 24X. Significant improvement at 15X, about 1/2 again as much improvement at 24X, a slight additional improvement at 36X.
But I found that the T-36 (and the T-24 Weavers) target turrets made it very easy to adjust the azimuth when moving from 50 to 100 yards.
So even though the improvement was slight, the ease of adjusting the aim point from 50 to 100 yards was an added benefit of the 36X Weavers.

I've been shooting those T-36s for about 10 years on 4 different target .22LRs - all of my good ones.

Firstly, the M100 is a neat old school rifle, walnut and blue steel, with wonderful sleek lines, and I've always thought they were very handsome rigs. Never owned one, but I've got my Grandad's M88, the autoloaders manually operated cousin.

Next, the Ruger 10/22 is one of those rifles that everybody (within limits of course) should have. Reliable, accurate and a great many accessories exist to customize easily should that be ones interest. The triggers in the new rifles are a bit rough, but options exist for that too.

Lastly, swapping a scope out, when rings and bases are already in place, is no big deal. Any outfit that could not do that PDQ, crisis or not, is not worth giving much business.

I agree 100% with all of this. I love the old 100 - which I inherited. I even found a couple 8-round Colyer clips for it.

As for the Ruger, I don't plan to do a lot to it. I just wanted it for plinking. I might splurge for a couple 25-round mags, but that's probably the extent of my upgrades.

The store where I took the old Winchester kept giving me excuses about not being able to get Weaver parts to mount the scope. I doubt I'll ever do business there again.

parts

Parts for nearly anything, from one's truck to the dishwasher, have been sparse recently. From your post, I gathered that you had a scope in place, thus suitable rings and mounts on board already. Perhaps there were indeed extenuating circumstances concerning your swap. Regardless, MONTHS?............that's crazy.

Back