SOlvent question

MCForceRecon

Inactive
I just bought a Bushmaster Shorty AK. I know that harsh solvents containing ammonia will destroy the chrome lined bore and chamber. So is anyone familiar with Kleen Bore's No. 10 Solvent and Kleen Bore's No. 10 Copper Cutter? will these products harm my bore if they contain ammonia? can some one get me some info on them? ALso does anyone know about hoppe's famous #9 solvent? is this one ok?
thanks

Cho

No such nonsense about ammonia solvents harming the chrome lining. This right from the folks at Bushmaster. Just follow the instructions (no longer than 15 minutes per application) and you'll be fine. As far as Hoppe's #9, it's good to go on all surfaces except nickel.

Regards,

Noban

Isn't the chrome lined bore nickel sealed or something like that? So wouldn't the hoppe's #9 destroy the nickel sealant applied to the barrel, if that solvent is harmful to nickel. Also, the copper cutter is ok too?

MCforceRecon:
Good luck in boot camp. Just a little advice though. You have to earn the title Marine. I'm not trying to be mean but by looking at your user name people will think you are a Marine. You'll see that once you get in there are a lot of people that claim to be in recon or "black ops". These false claims really anger the men who are actually in these units.
You may very well end up in a Recon unit but I would lay low until you actually get there.
One of the best ways to become Honor Man is to have a 300pft. Keep up your running and pull ups!!!!

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi

[This message has been edited by DannyO (edited May 19, 2000).]

OOO-RAHH DANNYO My bother devil dog. To the point.If you want a good solvent,yes hoppes has been around for years,But when I go doggin I'll shoot 300-400 rds a morning and I use Shooters Choice Ive found that if youre bore is polished and clean this stuff cleans bores really well without damaging my bores and Ive got a 6-284 shootin 70 nbt at 3900 fps with about 4000 rds through it and still shoots 1/4 moa all day. I aso use it in my Bushmaster v-match and it works dang good SEMPER FI

All Right. What did I miss here? I don't check the forum for a day or so and something happens.

MCForceRecon - What DID you say?

Dannyo - <These false claims> Yep they do, but you know what, those that claim that usually are "found" out, sooner rather then later, and exposed. The Corps is not that large, Recon even small and tighter knit.
<One of the best ways> That might help now but didn't when I went through. Honor Man is much more then just PhysTrng... its more about Leadership... or so I like to think while reading over my Honor Grad Cert. ;)

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 20, 2000).]

If I remember right all the Plt Guides were the honor grads, don't remember if any of them got 300 PFT but they all got pretty high final PFTs. I was a squad leader, and it seemed the guide, myself and the other squad leaders did about 10 times the IPT of the rest of the Plt. Since I wasn't the guide I was't the honor man from my boot camp Plt, however I was the Plt top shot with a 238, I think the series top was 239, the Company was something like a 241.

Gunny what do you think of the new KD course, it seems a lot easier to qual expert now a days than in the past. The last time I qualied I got a 56 and I left the 200 with a 36. It was much easier than the old KD were you worked even at 500 to make sure you got expert.

Chrome can be plated directly on steel. Ammonia solvents will not harm chrome or steel.

Nickel cannot be plated to steel, so a copper plating is used and the nickel plated to that. Ammonia solvents will not harm nickel, but if there are scratches or cracks that allow the solvent to get to the undercladding, it will eat away the copper and allow the nickel to peel off.

HTH

Jim

thanks for the help devildawgs. im already in the Army National Guard Programs that end on 16 June. I am the Company guide. one of the highest PFT's and the highest ASVAB and other academic scores... anyhow thanks for the advice...

Semper Fi

De oppresso Liber

The only reason I stressed the PT is because that is what made boot camp easier for me. I found that the better I was at PT the more time I could focus on learning , shooting etc.
I ended up a squad leader and woke up every morning on the quarter deck. Boy do I miss it.

------------------
"Some people spend an entire liftime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem."
Semper Fi

Before I even read this post, as I was waiting for this to load, I was thinking about the name "MCForceRecon". I was thinking about how a real Force Reacon soldier would probably never ever use such a title. Which led me to believe I must be talking to some guy who just likes Force Recon. It all goes along with speak with your actions and not with your words. Spec ops and other elite units don't have to say anything to anyone. In fact they are mainly pretty low key. You don't know they are there until you are rescued or dead.

Nothing personal MCFR, just a note on your name. Heck you probably think I am a gangsta with "El Rojo". I guess maybe we should just conclude names mean nothing on here.

El Rojo:
Force Reconnaissance men are Marines not soldiers. Most Marines take umbrage to being called soldiers. But point well taken.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STLRN:
El Rojo:
Force Reconnaissance men are Marines not soldiers. Most Marines take umbrage to being called soldiers.
[/quote]

Due to the subject matter of this Topic I'm staying out of it for the most part. However... some corrections...

Recon (Force or Otherwise) are not men... they are Marines! ;)

All true Marines take umbrage to being called soldiers. :D

I'll let y'all sort this "mess" out.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Gunny:
You know as well as I, that MOS title are not infantry Marine, artillery fire control Marine, or armor crew Marine, but rather infantrymen, artillery fire controlmen, armor crewmen. And until DAWCOWITS gets it way all combat arms Marines are still men.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STLRN:
You know as well as I, that MOS title are not infantry Marine, artillery fire control Marine, or armor crew Marine, but rather infantrymen, artillery fire controlmen, armor crewmen. [/quote]

No... you don't understand. Those MOS are cross referenced by DOD.. and they apply to all the Services (or can if they have those).

Those are the job titles.... but the people performing them are Marines :p You know what I mean Vern!

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 23, 2000).]

By "Marines", did you leave out the "Royal" that is supposed to go in front on that? :p Oh sorry, you meant, "Department of the Navy, Marines"! :eek:

--El Rojo ducks out of the way after hitting the hornet's nest!--

Rojo:
Yes, the Dept. of the Navy, the Mens Dept (excluding those of course attached to the Marines i.e., the doc, chaplains and NGLOs and in Special Warfare.

Gunny:
I am tracking on them being Marines, but the MOS cross referencing to other services your going to have to explain. The sailors assigned to Marine units are given marine specific MOS, that only apply to those in the FMF, they no longer have those Marine specific MOS when they return to the navy.

Sir,

I was yanking you chain... just the ranting of a old man... or would that be old Marine... or Ol'men? :confused:

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 24, 2000).]

Back