Solution to CCW speedloader carry

cottersay

Inactive
I've tried for years to belt carry a speed loader concealed, but they always bulged out like crazy, so I was stuck with the same slow methods of either a speed strip or a belt pouch.

What I knew I needed was a SL holder that rides above the center of the belt, just like some of the full moon revolver competition models do, but made for the tiny 5Star Ruger LCRX revolver speed loader.

Here is what I came up with, and it works like a charm. The pouch itself is also from 5Star, but the belt clip is made from epoxied aluminum strips, and firmly grips the belt both in width and in height (as it must for total stability). Therefore it is a one-belt clip as most belts, even if referred to in standard width sizes, are not all the same in any dimension. However, if you want a SL pouch that doesn't slop around, stays midlevel to the belt, and is where you expect it to be when you need it in a hurry, then this is the only solution I have found.

For those with a mill, this DIY clip could be made much slicker looking.

[NOTE: I posted this on the Ruger forums yesterday, but then thought that some general revolver fans may also be interested]

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• LS1.jpg
    LS1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 395
  • CU1.jpg
    CU1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 382
Great idea to an old problem. I like it and somebody-maybe you, might give some thought to marketing it.
Admittedly easier to carry and conceal, "speed strips", an oxymoron if there ever was one, are never nearly fast enough to merit the adjective "speed". Faster, maybe, but hardly fast.
Welcome to The Firing Line, cottersay!

I like it, it has possibilities. May I ask a couple of questions?

Do you have one for 6 shot / 7 shot speed loader? The five shot speed loader isn't as much of a problem for me, but it certainly would be worth trying out on one of my k frame loaders.

Do you have a design yet for two side by side?

Seems reasonably well executed too. Nice job!

Very nice design.

Back in the day i used a Safariland speedloader pouch that straddled the belt. Held 3 rounds behind the belt and 3 in front. The pouch then went over the whole speedloader. Not sure if its still being made, but it worked very well

Hi guys,

Thank you for the kind comments.

To answer some of the questions:

1. I apply propane heat -- carefully -- to bend the aluminum. Of course, too much heat and it melts, too little and the aluminum cracks/breaks.

2. I don't produce these for sale, as I just retired from that kind of work. (I would have used my mill even for this one-off, but in this case, I just wanted to "get 'er done"!).

3. To be truly effective -- and this is where one-size-fits-most similar concepts go wrong (at least for me) -- is that the speed loader pouch's belt clip needs to be made of a stiff material, and be absolutely tight to the belt with no slop either up or down or back and forth. That way the speedloader does not wobble nor print, but is always in the same place above the belt and against the body come hell or high water!

Back