solunar tables

cjwartes

Inactive
has anyone had experience useing solunar tables? i read an article saying that they work, but i want some more information.

I've never used them, but a number of friends have told me that they really work.
My new GPS has them programmed into its software. :cool: Maybe I'll get to try it in November (elk season).

I used the tables for te first time this year. Both my deer killed were out roaming exactly when they should have been

The term "Solunar" was coined by the late, great sportsman John Alden Knight in 1926. He created it to identify his refinement of the old folk theory "Moon Up -- Moon Down" to identify the most productive times to hunt and fish. According to this theory, the best results in were obtained when the moon was either directly overhead or directly underfoot.

Knight's refinement involved the systematic evaluation of a list of 33 factors which then were thought could affect the behavior of fish and game. This list was eventualy pared down to three: the sun, the moon, and the tides. The affects of each were eventually codified into his Solunar Tables, first published in 1936, and still in use today.

Knight authored numerous books and magazine articles on the topics of fishing and hunting, was a championship caliber fly-caster and wing-shot, and was regarded as the dean of sportsmen in his day. Knight died on April 8, 1966 in Florida.

Good luck, and good shooting (and fishing) using Knight's Solunar Tables!

One of many factors, but I have used tables with good results on private proberty. We wouldn't go out untill an hour before "peak activity" and the deer would be moving

I have a casio "fishing watch" that tracks the cycles, and I see some difference in fishing during peak times also.

Ron

We always checked on what the local cows and horses and sheep were doing. If they were up and moving and feeding we figured the game were too, if they were laying around smoking cigarettes and playing poker we figured the game were too. Not scientific, but it worked ok for us.

For fishing, just any time you have time is a good time. Unless the wind is out of the East, then stay home and play your fiddle or something.....

Back