Solid Black Whitetail Fawn

Bud Helms

Wow. Anyone ever see one of these? I never even heard of one before.

Supposedly, these were taken in Beamsville, Ontario, Canada.

Look closely and you can see faint spots on it. I can't verify this pic is in-the-wild or in captivity. 'Sure looks too real for photoshop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BlackFawn1.jpg
    BlackFawn1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 424
  • BlackFawn2.jpg
    BlackFawn2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 415
  • BlackFawn3.jpg
    BlackFawn3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 406
Sure does look strange for sure. I have seen albino fawns, but I think I would do a double take if I saw that one coming through the woods.

That other fawn is looking at it saying, why do you look different.

The spotted one is givin' the black one the ol' mafia "kiss o' death" since it knows it ain't got a chance stickin' out like a sore thumb and not havin' a clue it does...

Brent

Yes, but it is a lot rarer than an albino. A couple years back a black buck was shot In Bucks County, Pa. I think it was at the Allentown Sportsman show full mounted the next year. I think it was the kid's first deer. As far as not having a chance, the buck had a decent sized rack on it.

Look closely and you can see faint spots on it. I can't verify this pic is in-the-wild or in captivity. 'Sure looks too real for photoshop.

I see a fence in the background of the second picture, just saying :)
I searched, RMD Photographics 2010 and didn't find any other photos with that copyright mark on them.
Nice pic's :)

Not just a fence, there looks to be some structure like boxes in that same pic.

I didn't attribute that to captivity, knowing how Whitetail will become accustomed to humans and their stuff, but I suppose it's possible.

Looks like a house trailer in the backround to me. Bare studs on the right side and walls in tact on the left perhaps?

Very neat if it is real. Darn photoshop has me doubting any pic anymore.

A black deer is even more rare than an albino, it is called melanistic (not sure on the spelling) that black buck in the picture i know was killed in texas, i believe there was an article about it on the north american whitetail website.

Down near Alvin, Texas there's, or was, a small herd of White, White Tail Deer. They are not albinos but really white. Some idiot got caught raising Wolves near there and just turned the Wolves out so I don't know the fate of any local deer in that area.

I used to live in the town of Lakeway, which is a lake-side community with a couple golf course outside of Austin. Plenty of deer. One year a dark fawn popped out. Over the next several years, the number of dark deer increased. Apparently that first one was successful with the ladies.

I just spent a minute googling, and it turns out central Texas is a hotbed for melanistic deer. Who knew.

Regards,
Tom Lynch

The background in that second pic just came together for me. It is a handrail leading to some steps. 'Looks like they are right near an entrance to some dwelling.

As tmlynch said..melanistic deer are actually quite common in certain areas of the Texas hill country.....As far as predation goes..an albino deer I would think..would be in much more danger.....The fact that they thrive says something....

Could be a crossbreed with a sika deer? Sikas (not Sitka) are black and are known to cross with whitetails. We have seen some of that in the hill country of TX

Back