Sold my Brass!

Prof Young

After about 15 years of shooting and reloading I've sold off my scrap brass. In pic below it's hard to discern that it's a five gallon bucket full of brass that's within about five inches of the top. 44 pounds netted $63. This is bungled brass, 22 brass of all sorts, calibers I don't reload mixed in with my range brass and a few small brass plumbing fittings.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• brass.jpg
    brass.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 149
I have access to brass but was thinking that if I could get a hold of the dimensions of one of those 3000BC brass swords, I can make a mould and cast my own ancient swords.

They'd only be ancient if you can go back in time to make them and then come back and dig them up. Might be a fun hobby if you can work out the technical kinks.

Lots of brass sword parts are out there (hilts, pommels, etc.) but I don't know of brass blades other than in decorative or ceremonial weapons. The Egyptians had work-hardened copper blades. Lots of bronze-age swords made of bronze with varying copper-tin ratios. They also made some of copper-arsenic alloy. But hardened brass is not as hard as cold-worked copper (BHN 78 vs BHN 89). Its resistance to bending is not quite as strong, either (shear modulus of about 5800 ksi, verses about 6700 ksi).

It took you 15 years?
3 years of range pickup, plus the pieces i've decided are scrap filled the same 5 gal bucket.

Here’s a pic of my scrapped brass bin. I’m catching up fast. Another 20 - 30 years and my heirs will be able to get that $63...plus whatever inflation adds by then.

Attachments

• 02FBAE7E-CFB4-4F1F-B2D4-ED9FAC13EC47.jpeg
    02FBAE7E-CFB4-4F1F-B2D4-ED9FAC13EC47.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 64
I'll be taking 24 five gallon buckets of brass to the recycler on Tuesday. Three months of range scrounging. I do pull what I need and sell some through a local gun shop. Not uncommon to get 2 buckets a weekend at my range.

I'm glad someone opened this conversation as I'm looking for hints.

I have kept all my scrap brass (berdan primed, split cases, otherwise non-reloadable but only the brass, no steel and no aluminum) and I have a decent collection of .22LR and .22WMR also. In addition, I have 31+ years of spent primers. Since they never occupied much physical space, I never had any problem holding on to them.

I couldn't tell you or even accurately guess at the weight of my recyclable "reloading" brass, but I can tell you that there must be a minimum of 150,000 primers in there.

1) The spent primers are just as recyclable as the cartridge brass I hope?

2) Is there is a "best time" to make my run to the scrap yard for the most proceeds? What kind of rate should I be looking for or waiting for, can anyone offer insight in to the market? Google will return a result but some specific search terms might help me.

I figure the only way to truly make all these years of collecting it worth my while is to make just ONE single trip and do it when the price reaches a decent spot. (yeah, I'll do it again maybe 20-25 years from now too)

Hints and tips appreciated! :D

I sell my scrap brass when I get over 100lbs of it to a re-cycler near me. I was getting $2 lb but a few years ago the price dropped to $1 lb so I'm holding on to it. Currently, I have over 210 lbs of scrap brass.

I work at a range owned by four different LE agencies and we are open to the public a couple days a week. We regularly send off a couple 55gal drums of assorted brass to the recycler.
I finally talked them into sorting some of it by caliber when they are looking for live rounds that are not allowed into the scrap bins so we can give that to our customers that reload. I gave a guy about 25# of .357 brass one day and I thought he was going to cry.
Also noted much of the 45acp is now small primer which takes even more sorting time.

Back