Softest Recoiling 380

TxFlyFish

Which of the following 380s would be the softest recoiling:

P238
G42
P380

Any other suggestions would be welcome, but atm am not looking at blowback or p3at/lcp/tcp

Of the three, the Sig P238 is the softest recoiling, and most accurate of the lot. When you do the Sig Sauer P238 HD, it’s even less due to a heavier frame. It also shoots only in single action and must carry it Condition 1. No reliability issues for mine, at all. I can easily hit 25 yard steel plates
f8790cce82c2da1e57fef5e0e135840d.png
with it. Handles hot ammo like +P like a champ.

I had a Glock 42. Recoil was moderate but not painful. The original sights are better than a P3AT and it took time, but I could hit out to 25 yards with it. It’s very thin and light. It would be my second choice. I can do a prolonged range session with it. Handles Buffalo Bore +P like a champ.

The P3AT is the thinnest and recoil is STOUT. I don’t like the trigger, either. The sights suck. I’d shoot it no further than 10 yards. I don’t care for it.

But of the 380s the Bersa Thunder has the least recoil of all. To me, the Walther PPK S has very light recoil but I’m only good out to 15 yards these far (right out of the box). It has a nice balance and weight, but it’s bigger than most modern 9 mm micro carry pistols, these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome info thanks. It helps that there are also so many choices for mustang clones for female shooters. I got the same guns as you haha I have a Bersa and ppk as well

I have all of the pistols. Mentioned above and can rank them as follows:
1. S&W EZ
2. Sig P 238 (and Kimber Micro 380)
3. G 42 ( noticibly more than above)
4. Walther. PPK. 380 (in 32 a pussycat—380 not so nice)
5. A very very distant P3AT with recoil that is just unpleasant to most ( my Sig P938 —. 9mm has less recoil by far than the Keltec).

So far there are 2 that I own that I can comment on.

1. Bersa Thunder .380 Full size. A nice shooter. It is one that can be both carried a lot, and shot a lot without causing fatigue.

2. Browning Black Label 1911/.380 Light weight, and still a soft shooter. Great trigger, and nearly no felt recoil.

I own a P238 (two actually, his & hers), and have shot the G42. The P238 feels softer to me. No first-hand experience with the Walther.

I owned a SIG P230, straight blow back, .380. Did not enjoy the recoil from that one. More recently, I had the opportunity to shoot a SIG P238. I expected the same sharp recoil as my P230, and was prepared not to like the 238. Nope! The locked breech P238 recoil was very soft. I'm not a fan of the .380, and don't know about the others you listed, but the little 238's recoil was surprisingly gentle.........

The heaviest pistol using the lightest bullet will have the least felt recoil. Felt recoil is subjective.
A 1.5 pound pistol shooting a 90 grain bullet at 1,000 FPS has less than half the actual recoil a 6/10th of a pound pistol shooting a 95 grain bullet at 900 FPS.

Well said!

The heaviest pistol using the lightest bullet will have the least felt recoil. Felt recoil is subjective.
A 1.5 pound pistol shooting a 90 grain bullet at 1,000 FPS has less than half the actual recoil a 6/10th of a pound pistol shooting a 95 grain bullet at 900 FPS.

Shot the G42(own one) and Sig P238... they seem a wash to me but the grip design of the Glock was ‘happier’ in my hand...ymmv and all that.

I've not had any other micro 380's to compare it to, but the Remington rm380 is a locked breach design and is not uncomfortable to shoot. Mine has proven quite reliable and it is bargain priced.

I've owned a bunch of .380s. The softest of the lot is a Walther PK380. A tiny .380 that shoots way softer than it should is the Beretta Pico.

Only have one of the OP's pics... the 238...but of my 380's,
Ruger LCP,
Sig P238
Browning 1911-380
...the Browning has the least recoil. It's easy to shoot, fits nice because unlike the LCP or 238 it's large enough to easily aim and hit what you're shooting at.

I have a bunch of 380 pistols. The softest-shooting is easily the Colt Government 380. It's basically a larger P238. Since it's medium-sized and steel and shoots from a locked breech, it's recoil is extremely minimal. They haven't been made for a while, but aren't hard to find on Gunbroker.

Back