softening the hide

I brain tanned a squirrel and left the fur intact. How do I soften the hide? It's been scraped to remove the flesh/fat. Now it's hard like cardboard.

In the old days they used to use the brains + water and the brains keaded in that .I guess the lanolin in the brains is what was wanted

Go to braintan.com they will tell ya all ya need to know.
It's the protien in the btains that do the job. You can use eggs will work too.

Taking me back !!!

Gary,
Back in my BuckSkinner days, I did a couple of squirrels, rabbit and even a Badger. No, the Badger was not from Wisconsin. I used a kit, I believe from Dixie. Now, as a group, we did a number of Whitetails, using the old process. There is a series of six videos on U-Tube that takes you through the process. The young fellas in there, pretty much mirrors what we did. I'll try and get you the link. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

You need to break the hide and apply some neets foot oil. You can make a tool or get one from Van Dykes to aid in the process. The idea is to stretch the fibers in the skin to allow oil to penetrate.

Here is a tool used for fleshing and breaking

It may help to soak the hide in plain water to get it into workable condition. Care must be taken when working your hide, due to the thinness of it, that you don't damage it.

Good luck...

Back