Softening a holster rig ??

mike1894

Inactive
Just got my double loop rig in today.
Fits great, nice and dark the way I wanted it.
But this thing is stiff as a board.
What do you SASS guys use on your rigs to soften them up.
Not to worried about the belt being overly soft.
But, I sure would like to soften up the holster a bit before sliding
the new Colt in and out.

You want the holster to be stiff so your gun doesn't drag on the way out. get it soft and it will clamp down on your gun and it'll either have to be tied down or you'll have to use one hand to hold it down and the other to draw. The lips will tend to fold in and be hard to reholster. As long as the gun fits without forcing it'll be fine. If it doesn't fit well and is good quality vegetable tanned leather you can wet form it to your gun. Mop it down with a wet rag so it's thoroughly damp but not soaked. Wrap your gun in Saran wrap and put it in holster and let dry. If you've got cheap Mexican leather do not get it wet or you'll wish you hadn't.:eek:

Neatsfoot Oil, sparingly applied a number of times until the leather reaches the stiffness you want. This also helps protect the leather from dirt and moisture.

I wipe my holsters with Mink Oil and use a hair dryer to heat the leather for good penetration. This softens the leather a bit, but not to the point of rolling the edges. It also waterproofs the leather.

Back