SOFT Rubber grips cause SIGs to Maulfunction?

thequickad

SIG Sauer Pistol Grips

Pistols May Malfunction if Grips are Replaced.

Police officers who have replaced the original grips on their Sig Sauer pistols are being advised that some replacement grips may cause the pistol tomalfunction. The National Institute of Justice's (NIJ) Technology Assessment Program has learned tha t at least one police officer who replaced the grips on his Sig Sauer pistol has experienced malfunctions. While the pistol performed fine at the time the grips were replaced, it soon began to malfunction withfurther firing. The National Institute of Just ice (NIJ) is concerned that other police officers who have replaced the grips on their Sig Sauer pistols may be unaware of the problem and might experience the first malfunction during a life-threatening situation.

Sigarms, Inc., which distributes the pistols, responded to NIJ's concern in the following way:

"...concerning the use of 'aftermarket' grips on Sig Sauer pistols, we wish to advise the following:

The grip plates on our pistols serve a dual purpose:

1. conventional covers of the metal frame to properly 'fit' the hand, and

2. to hold in place and protect the various springs, levers, and pins that are assembled to the frame.

The factory grip plates are of rigid 'plastic' material designed to accomplish these two purposes.

It is most important that any 'aftermarket' grip be rigid, particularly in the areas immediately adjacent to these components. It is most important that thegrip be rigid at the hammer pin area to prevent this pin from 'walking' as otherwise this pin could move and cause the firearm to become inoperable.

The 'aftermarket' grips of the 'soft' type should be constructed with some form of rigid insert in the area of the hammer pin to prevent any flexing of the material that would allow the pin to move, Further, care should be taken in the design of suc h grip that 'squeezing' of the grips would not interfere with the operation or movement of springs or levers in the frame."

Anyone who has replaced the original grips on a Sig Sauer pistol is encouraged to verify the suitability of the grips by contacting: Sigarms, Inc., 470 Spring Park Place, Unit 900, Herndon, VA 22070, 703-481-6660.

While NIJ is not aware of similar problems arising from the use of replacement grips on handguns manufactured by other companies, police officers are encouraged to check with the manufacturer of a handgun before installing replacement grips

a former LEO gave me similar advice back when I was first considering replacing the grips on my 220 with something a little more "interesting." but what sort of "soft" grips does the NIJ have in mind? my first thought would be Hogue's, but I've got their grips on mine, and I've had exactly zero failures to fire for somewhere in the neighborhood of six to seven hundred rounds now. I *did* notice that the grip seam came together exactly at the center of the backstrap area, where there's a spring (which those handier than I can name immediately, I'm sure), but with a little careful placement, everything seemed to strap in pretty well.

this is a slightly worrisome topic to broach, esp. since I had occasion to lay my hand on my grip in a tense situation, lately, though thankfully not to the point of drawing.

Thanks a million

Thanks for the most informative post.

I have the Hogue panels on both of my P226's and have had no problems. Your post makes me think I may have to add the word 'yet' to that sentence. I wanted Pachmayr's, but couldn't find any locally for too many months, so I took what I could get. I've put enough rounds through them to ascertain that all is well, but I will certainly be watching for anything unusual.

This board and it's forums is really nice. It is posts like yours (where I learn something despite my hard head) that make it all worthwhile.

Again, thanks a million.

SigArms has not been in Virginia for some years. Please delete the VA phone number and substitute the Exeter, NH address and phone number. The VA number listed belongs to a private subscriber, not SigArms.

I had Hogues on my 220 for awhile, but when I bought my new USP I didn't like the Handall that was on it. I put the old plastic grips plus the handall on the 220, and voila! Comfortable, hand-filling, finger grooves--what more can you ask for?

To sum up, I had no problems with Hogue rubber grips, but if you're concerned about this and looking for rubber grips the Handall is a good solution. I hear Agrip is great too, but I haven't tried it.

Don do you have a URL for handall and agrip?I need grips for my 245 and I haven't found anyone that makes any as yet?
Thanks

ssooo...does this mean specifically...

HOGUE?
I guess this is a little unclear, but is Sig specifically addressing Hogues? I have Hogues on my 228 and have not had problems, but will remove them if they are in question.

FWIW, I beleive that Hogue (www.getgrip.com) is an OEM supplier for wood grips to SIG, at least they were for teh Tx/DPS contract. They use N/C machines that are very precise to carve their grips. I have a set on my 226, that aside from being quite handsome (Pau Fero), are a perfect match for the plastic ones they replaced. YMMV, M2

I had Hogues on my P220 for 2 years with not a single problem...
There are a lot of lesser rubber grips out on the market...
Hogues have a hard plastic frame under that soft rubber.
They do just fine.

George also said...

That Sig changed the dimensions on the P226 and when they changed it, some grips would no longer fit. Thus, in purchasing those rubber grips, you have to check that it fits within the serial # range of the gun. Second, shoot the daylights out of it and try to see if it will malfunction. If it hic-coughs, then go back with factory grips. Better to get those innertube wrap arounds instead.

Oh, the George I was thinking of is George Harris, instructor for SigArms.

I still dont "Get" the P226... Its basically P220, but in 9MM... Why would you want a BIG FULL SIZED COMBAT AUTO in 9mm... I dont understand that.
Its like having a MUSTANG GT, CAMARO, or VETTE with a 4 cylinder engine under the hood.

Its all capacity...the 226 holds...what?...15 rounds. The 220 is 8 (i think). So with the car anolgy a 226 will run twice as long on a full "tank". I bought into this when I first started shooting. My first gun was a 92FS and second a 228 my last two have been 1911s. I think when you first start shooting, you wnat as many "chances: as possible. After a while you learn you can actually hit things :)

I assume that Uncle Mike's rubber grips are okay. AFAIK they contain a steel insert. Plus the SIG Arms parts department itself has carried them as an accessory.

Agrip will not interfere with function.

There is no Agrip models specifically designed for the Sig's, but "uncut" 5x8 inch sheets of Agrip are available that you can fit and trim yourself.

www.brookstactical.com

Agrip models are added as per customer demand, so, if anybody wants Agrip for a particular model, email Brooks Tactical with your requests (demands). ebrooks@brookstactical.com

Back