Soccer is a public health concern.....

Miss Demeanors

Found this and thought it was kinda funny. :)

Soccer Ball Heading for Trouble?
Just in time for the start of fall soccer
season, a study in this week's Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) raises new concerns about the practice of "heading" the ball. A group of 33 young adult amateur soccer players in the Netherland submitted to more than a dozen tests designed to measure various brain functions. The results were
compared to those of a control group of runners and swimmers. The findings:

39% of the soccer players had an impaired
performance on tests measuring planning
abilities, compared with 13% of the control
athletes.

27% of the soccer players, compared with 7%
of the control athletes, had an impaired
performance on memory tests.

Concussions were frequent; 27% had one
concussion due to soccer play; 23% had two to
five concussions over the course of their years playing the sport.

The conclusions:

"Participation in amateur soccer is associated with decreased performance on tests of memory and planning. Although cognitive impairment appears to be mild, it presents a medical and public health concern… Methods for surveillance and prevention
should be developed and adopted to maximize
safety."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ban them soccerballs! ;)

That's not funny! ;)

MissD, when do you shoot again?

CMOS

------------------
Join GOA, NRA, LEAA and vote.

I used to play a lot of soccer, but I don't remember any concussions ... ;)

If this is really the basis of the recent news stories I've heard, this sounds like dismal research. A sample of 33 people, which couldn't even be considered random? Someone honestly more experienced here - can 'heading' the ball really give you a concussion? That sounds unlikely. Running into another player or fixed object makes more sense.

Boy - the soccer moms must be beside themselves now. All those guuuuns! All those soooooccer balls! What next?

OTOH, we are approaching a safer society. We're getting rid of tobacco, alcohol can't be far behind, guns, now soccer balls, pails of water must go, scissors, ... ;)

I've had my nose broken by the ball (and possibly poor judgement) several times while playing in college. The only concussions I can attest to were from missing the ball completely and connecting with another players skull. And then there is...um...what was the question again?

I never got a concussion from heading the ball when I played soccer as a child, although I do have a pretty hard head. The brain is very well protected inside the cranium. It takes a really hard blow to the head to make the brain rattle around, which leads to a concussion: essentially it is a "brain bruise."

Now baseball, OTOH is a potentially DEADLY sport! ;) I once received a concussion after being hit square on the ear with a baseball. I also broke a couple pairs of glasses that year as well. GASP We must now strive to ban baseball, our children are in danger!

That is a pretty useless study if they only had 33 subjects. JAMA should know better than that (although other studies they cited in their journal were also just as useless).

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

[This message has been edited by Darthmaum (edited November 10, 1999).]

CMOS......soon , hopefully very soon. :)

Nerf soccerballs should be mandatory in all soccer games, it is a safety precaution. ;)

Darth, I played basketball and do recall not paying attention, :) someone passed it to me and WHAM! I had a nice bruise on my face for a week after that. So we better get after them basketballs also. I think we should go all nerf, we can save many kids from having to go through so much pain. :)

Soccer v Swimming-- What's the demographic of the average soccer player vs the average swimmer? My brother in-law, from Brazil, once remarked that soccer was so popular worldwide because all you needed was some open space (a street works...), 4 bricks, and a ball to play 22 men. This makes it the everyman's sport, as opposed to the more exclusive nature of competitive swimming, which doesn't even take place in poorer districts, and is usually supported by slightly higher S.E.S. groups. Which, unfortunately, always score higher on assessment or acheivement tests.

----
Wanna talk benign? How about whiffle ball? I recall a very pretty girl in my High School Senior Psychology class missing a couple of days of school, before walking in with a huge patch over her right eye. "What happened?" I asked.

"We were playing whiffle ball in P.E. in the gym the other day, and I was catching. The guy batting got a hit, and began running. He tossed the plastic bat backwards, and it hit end-on in my eye. It burst the eyeball, and I'm to be fitted for a glass eye in two weeks." [!!!!!#*%!!?!???!]
:(

Ban whiffle ball?

(No. I don't think so. The world is an inherently dangerous place to be: statistics show that 100% of those born actually die there!)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 10, 1999).]

Long Path brings up a good point- every person born here, will at some time, somehow, DIE here. I submit we should ban the world. Then noone would die there. ;)

I, too, have been a victim of random soccer ball violence. When I was in the 3rd grade ('85-'86 if'n I 'member correctly) I staid at a day care center after school and in the summer. One day, I walked outside to go to the playground, and to get there I had to go through a narrow fenced in concrete area. Two kids happened to be kicking a ball back and forth, and I happened to step in the path of the ball right as it passed in front of the door- WHAP! and a soccer ball impression on the right cheek. :( It gets worse- after I've been 1st aided and calmed down by the day care lady, I step outside again WHAP! soccer ball impression on the left cheek :( :(. I havnt had eny perminint f ects frum it tho. im all beter nou. ;)

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isna Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Oomodo (edited November 11, 1999).]

Back