so... what's your definition of a "guide gun" ???

I still haven't bought a bolt action .308 yet, but am thinking of turning a Ruger scout into my definition of a guide gun...

yep... I have a Marlin 45-70 guide gun, but surely that isn't the only rifle that qualifies... the new Ruger will get a new walnut Boyd's stock with a couple 100 dollars worth of upgrades ( looking to equal the look & feel of my nicer vintage Remington 700 BDL's ) I'm buying stainless, & pulling the goofy flash hider, & picatini rail off, & either putting a custom brake on, or just a thread protector... length of pull will be longer to fit me, & a nice non-scout scope installed... thinking 4-12 or one of the newer models with 5 X magnification ( I may make a mount to stick the rear sight on, so it's with the rifle ) I'm buying a couple of these Teflon coated stainless magazines ( about 3/4 the size of the Ruger factory mags )

http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

in the end, I'm hoping for a functional nice looking short rifle in an adequate caliber for most medium to larger game...

so how about some pictures of your "guide guns"

... hoping some of you are thinking outside the box, & offer up something other than the Marlin lever gun... though I also love mine... but is the Marlin the only gun that qualifies as a "guide gun" ????

I'll preface this with "I'm not a hunter", wouldn't it depend large on what you were a guide for? An African dangerous game guide would likely be carrying something north of 375h&h with irons while a brown bear guide may take that 45-70. I'd think irons as well.

This is the closest thing from the factory. Available in a variety of cartridges to match the game hunted. If I were putting together something it would look a lot like this, without the muzzle break. A lot of guides use similar CRF bolt rifles in 375 or 458 with barrels cut to 20". Many prefer a low powered 1X or 2X scope over irons too.

http://ruger.com/products/guideGun/models.html

While the Marlin uses the Guide gun title, not many guides would use one around dangerous game. A CRF bolt rifle is far more rugged and dependable if used in tough conditions. Levers are actually one of the most complex and least rugged actions. And with the heavy loads they are no faster for aimed repeat shots.

"A gun that would be designed for, or used by a professional guide/hunter" would be my thought.
That, to me, means heavy duty short to medium range rifle capable of stopping a charging whatever before it harms the amateur hunter who failed to put it down.

There's a lot to be said for open sights in close cover. I tried the Ghost Ring sights, couldn't hit squat with them. I migrated to these fiber optic sights, really easy to pick up even in low light.

thanks for the comments & pictures... I happen to have a set of Williams fiber optic ghost ring sights on my Marlin... BTW... FLASH... that's some great shooting...

JMR40... that is in essence what I'm building out of the Ruger scout rifle... err... well except I don't like the stock, & I do want a drop magazine :rolleyes:

since I'm in need of a bolt action .308, this is my twisted vision of a medium power Guide gun... BTW... already have a pair of Browning Stainless Stalkers one in 338 Win Mag, & one in 375 H&H, but both have hunter length barrels ( which I prefer on those cartridges ) the A bolt has a unique set up, that has the dump plate, but a removable box magazine inside... I could see myself pulling the plastic stock, & putting on a more size fitted wood stock on it, cutting the barrel shorter ( thus removing the BOSS ) & making a "real" guide gun out of the 375... BTW... that one currently wears a Burris posi lock 1.5 - 5X scope & is pretty quick shooting on the lower settings...

I built a custom Marlin lever action many years ago, in 50 AE, & at the time Cabala's had a zero power ( that how it was listed & marked ) Alaskan guide scope, that I mounted on it... the zero / one power scope allowed both eyes open sighting, & better accuracy ( for me ) than iron sights... I've since removed that, as I decided as I got older, that I don't like the looks of a scope on a lever gun, & I'm nearly as accurate with the fiber optic peep sight like I have on the 45-70

BTW... for S&G, I went to Boyd's site to look at stocks for the A Bolt... I see they are only available in long action... any eye deer if Browning considers the 375 H&H action as long ??? I assume it would be a magnum action... so likely at this point, I couldn't "guide up" my 375 anyway... which is fine... I really like it, like it is... for now ;)

As for me, I envision a lever action of some sort, open sights in something along the lines of 45-70, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin...

Yessir, open sites, quick to throw, light weight, balanced, optics ready if desired, not TOO punishing on the shoulder when sighting in.
Also adding, smooth action with minimal bolt throw.

Are you talkin' to me?

I'm not a guide. Talk to the right people, i.e., actual professional guides, and ask them what they use to back up their clients. Maybe, that could be extended to those who have hired guides, to ask what their guides used. Anything else is fantasy. Like the blind leading the blind. Won't they both end up in the ditch?

I'll preface this with "I'm not a hunter", wouldn't it depend large on what you were a guide for?

I AM a hunter, and I had the same question.

I'm imaging a guided duck hunt where the guide backs you up with a .460 Weatherby to ward off wounded waterfowl.

come on guys... Marlin doesn't have a shotgun they call a guide gun ( though they could, as a slug is often thought of as good close range bear medicine ) could always be used to back up a customer against a crazed goose ;)

In my mind a "guide gun" could be almost anything. Although short, light, and fast handling are certainly things that come to mind, that will be carried a lot and not fired all that often, and that the guide is completely comfortable and proficient with. I wouldn't be offended or concerned if the guide had a good quality scope on it, low power scope can make fast shots also, and perhaps if needed sneak in a tough shot a little further out. Something along the lines of a short, bolt action .308 (or larger cal if preferred) with a good leupold low power scope, shooting something like 180 Nosler Partitions, enough to reach out to 100 yards to anchor a wounded animal, but heavy enough to do some damage in a "confrontation". And it would be Stainless Steel, have a synthetic stock and scope covers.

My "guide gun" is a Rem 700 in .308 Win. It started life as a youth rifle with a short stock and 20" barrel. I replaced the stock with a synthetic(camo painted) and added a low power variable scope. Main purpose-follow up and hammer down the occasional wounded deer my "hunters" muffed up on. It also works great for close to medium range on most anything for which the .308 is suitable. Downside is-it's loud and has more recoil than one would expect from a .308. I wouldn't take it grizzly hunting but, then again, I'm not expecting to EVER go grizzly hunting. Hogs, deer, black bear, elk in the thick stuff, maybe even a Montana moose are well within the capabilities of this "guide gun".

synthetic stock, shortish barrel

open sights, red dot or a 1-4 power scope

something with abit of power

side mounted sling swivels

mine is a tikka with an aimpoint micro and a laminated stock, probably going synthetic soon

I always thought my old FR8 would fit the bill nicely.

ry%3D480

.308, stripper fed, very handy, and with the straight bolt, fast to shoot with, and if need be, fast to reload.

I have a 1895G as well, and its been a good gun too, even being a post Remington gun, but Id take the FR over it, in a heartbeat.

Ive never really been a scope person, but for this type of gun, I really think irons would be the better choice.

Back