So Sad Deer Season Is Over Again..

BIGR

I am really sad. Deer season 2005 is over again and I don't know what to do now. I guess I could bird hunt until March. I would have to say I got to see more than 55 deer this year and killed an eleven point and a doe. Yes I could have tagged out during the muzzle loader week but what fun would that be not getting to go back to deer camp again. I look forward to the 2006 season already.

I am feeling the same way!!! I don`t know what to do with all of my free time now! If there are any coyotes in your area you could try that. Our deer season ended Jan. 3 and I am already going nuts.

Mixed emotions here.....
Only saw one small fawn. I think the land owner needs to restock :p
I think our major problem is adjacent hunters are running dogs across the land we hunt, and the owner wants to keep peace with him, so he won't put a stop to it. He's hoping he will sell it since his health is not the best in the world.
After months of running, the deer finally just move on. My main problem is that I don't start hunting until the cooler weather. Out season starts Sept. 15th. Wasps and hornets are still in the stands, mosquitos are terrible, and it is still in the upper 90's. But they are running the dogs starting on the 15th of Sept.
I think this year I'm going to suck it up and get bit, stung and sweaty to get me a buck!

We have till the end of the month here on long island. Shotgun only. But I did take a nice buck during rifle season up near Albany.

Oh... there's still good hunting to be had...
...at least Handloading and Full Auto forum Moderator Johnny Guest seems to think so!

Last week's hog, hunting in the base of the TX panhandle with R. Luci and A. Emerson:

attachment.php

250g .35 Whelen at about 2200 fps, 122 yards. One shot, DRT.

Attachments

• Hog 3 JAN 2006 2cropped.JPG
    Hog 3 JAN 2006 2cropped.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 167
  • Hog 2 JAN 2006 cropped2.jpg
    Hog 2 JAN 2006 cropped2.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 30
Best time of the year for PORKERS.
Don't be Sad be MAD and shoot yourself some of the best eating standing on 4 legs.
You can go for a trophy with a big boar or you can go for some good eating with the 50 to 200 lb. range of squealers.
Either way it is a BALL and in most areas the wild pigs are hated by the farmers and ranchers so getting them to let you hunt them is a lot easier
than you think.
Here in Oklahoma, they are plentiful, and the ranchers hate them because they rut up their pastures, making hay baleing almost impossible, and the farmers hate them because of the distruction of their crops.
There is NO SEASON on them at present and they are great eating this time of year. There are no caliber restrictions, and can be hunted with or without dogs, day or night.
So Go OUT and do some fun hunting, slap a porker on the barbie, and enjoy the Off season.

Yah, I am another already looking forward to the next deer season(s)
Even doing the bow, slug, muzzleloader seasons combined, just cannot get enough! The coyote situation is pretty heavy though, so hope to go after them---might help the deer as well.

OK, it's all over but the shoutin' now. Yesterday bowhunted for 2 hours on the last evening. Heard something sounded like a deer behind me at dusk, but saw nothing. I had terrible luck this year (or skill, or both). But yeah, I'm definitely gettin on some hogs this year! Got some lines on some land for that. WBB is hookin' me up with info too! What about hunting Eufala - Gaines creek division WBB? That's closer to my home in central OK. Lotta pigs on the public lands there? You said Gaines runs through your lease, so I'd think the pigs would work there way on up north along the creek.

FF
Probably hogs all up and down gaines creek, Look for mud rubs on trees and tracks on the creek edge, you should be able to get on some.
Check your regulations on Corps property though, here on Eufaula, they won't let us use anything but shotguns.

Good Luck to ya!

OK, and what about Gary Sherrer area? Would that be better than Gaines Creek? What about Atoka and Pushmataha? What about James Collins? What about Yourman? Where would I likely have the best luck among all those? The hunting regs say you can hunt hogs on public lands during any regular hunting season. Well, since it's still rabbit & squirrels, I assume hunting hogs is ok on public lands. Thanks a lot!

Do you mean shotgun only on regular Eufula, Gaines Creek, or both?

FF
Unfamiliar with some of them, I know places like Collins is closed to many kinds of hunting during seasons.
Each one of the reserves will have a rule or two that differs a little from each other and the only way to be on the safe side is to click on to the game department web and see what they are. I'd feel REAL BAD if I told you something that would get you in trouble, and I haven't been on to much of the public hunting lands.
Something I would suggest, if you own a GPS and like to hunt different places,is a OKLAHOMA ATLAS & GAZETTEER by DeLORME. You can get one from most of the hunting and fishing stores in your area, if not call 207-846-7000 or go to www.delorme.com and get one.
It is the BEST all around maps for Okla. I can find. It seperates the state in grids that will give you all kinds of info that you need. It seperates all of the hunting reserves and shows the boundries so you exactly where you are all the time.
Some of the reserves like collins are loaded with hogs but they are hard to get on to because of regulations. Some are Bow only, and some are shotgun only, and some won't let you hunt them at all, I just don't know which ones will or won't.
Collins is awful close to Quinton, so if it were me, I would get hold of some freinds around your lease and find out if they know any farmers and ranchers from that area that is having problems with hogs. I'd bet you will be able to find some good places around there, and probably won't have much trouble getting permission to hunt from them.
Sorry I don't know more to tell you but I'm really limited as to public hunting areas since most of my hunting is on private lands.
If you don't own one of the atlas, I would get one though, It can help a whole lot.
Hope this helps.

WBB, thanks again. Sure I'd check the WMA-specific regs before I hunted, so don't worry about me; that's my responsibility. But assuming it's allowed at either, where do you think the pigs would be thicker, in Gaines Creek Eufala, or up in James Collins? I would think Gaines, but dunno. Brushy creek & gaines creek come together in the gaines creek wma...

http://maps.scigis.com/odwc/MapFrame.asp

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/gaines.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/collins.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/huntregs10.htm

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hogmap.gif

See, only 3 rivers, honobia, & broken bow have stricter regs on hogs it looks like - they can only be taken in those 3 areas during deer archery, deer primitive, & first 9 days of deer rifle - the rest of the year they are safe apparently. So they're probably very thick in those areas. I'd be that they had too many yahoos claiming 'hog hunting' in those areas when found with rifles outside deer seasons, but believed to be coming out with deer; hence the rule.

Also, do you know whether, in OK, feral hogs are considered to be a 'game' species, or 'non-game' species. Certainly they are huntable. And huntable 365 days a year. But they're not under 'game species of interest' descriptions. Yet nor are they under non-game species of interest in those wma descriptions.

Oh, I've got a Lowrance GPS but haven't yet bought any of the detailed map disks for it...I'll look into the delorme.

Last edited:
FF
James Collins is loaded with hogs from what the guys around work tell me, that would be my first choice. The refuge is bordered on one side buy corn fields that belong to a feed mill.(Iskeys Feed Company)
He does not allow any hunting on his place (at least he won't allow ME to hunt on him) His fields border about a mile or mile and a half down the south border of collins, so if you can get on collins it would be a good bet to look for sign along the south border.
There are rangers on collins and any of them can tell you where the largest concentrations of hogs will be about any time of the year.
Gaines Creek runs into Lake Eufaula and the Corps of Engineers controls anywhere on its borders until it gets onto private lands, but it is such a large area it would be hard to say just where to hunt.

Ferrel Hogs are considered to be a pest in the state right now and are not listed as any kind of game animal, so the seasons don't apply to them.
No regulations on caliber, or weapon type, or means of hunting that I am aware of. Only thing is if you are going to night hunt, you should call the game department and tell them where you will be and let them issue you a night light permit, that will keep them from thinking you are spotlighting deer.
State hasn't figured out how to make a Buck off of them yet so still very little regulation and no season.

Honobia and Three Rivers, along with Broken Bow are surrounded by 625,000 acres of Tree Growing owned primarily by the John Hancock Co. and Georgia Pacific, and Weyerhauser. They entered into some kind of agreement with the state to open their lands up to the public in order for the state to keep the roads up for them. They sold land permits for 2 or 3 years and you could hunt or fish or hike or anything else, but I'm not sure they still do that. They had some problems with poaching and people destroying timber and junking up the camping so I'm Not sure about it. There are a lot of creeks and rivers that run across all of it and the hogs are thick around the rivers but it is a MASSIVE place and there are parts of it (Around Octavia and Smithville) that is 25 miles long and 26 miles wide that don't even have cow trails on them. Locals say the last man that walked those mountains had a feather on his head.
Been there couple of times on the Black River around Nashoba with 4 wheelers. Went in at Nashoba, got lost, 6 hours later came out at Clayton lake, about 35 miles away. I did not care where I was, I was just glad to get out before dark,(Saw Black Bear tracks around every water hole we came to all day)
Great place to hunt but be REALLY careful, easy to get lost.
Beautiful Country though, you will want to take a camera with you if you do much riding around.

Back