So lets talk about storing extra ammo

surg_res

We all know that ammo, just like any dry good, is probably best stored at 51.65 degrees f in a dark dry place with no vibration and oxygen absorbers. OK realistically, I'm curious to know who has stored ammo in a garage or some other freezer-turned-oven and had it shoot 20 years on. Sounds ridiculous, but I'm getting a little short on the inside for cramming a few extra rounds. The stuff I burn through by the case (i.e. 7,1/2 shot shells, #2 steel, 22 LR) stay in the shop and I've never had problems. But what about bulk rifle ammo in the can? Is it made to take the temp swings and last for a few decades?

I have. A few years back I pulled out some ammo I had forgotten about in the garage 30 years and 3 moves back. It all shot fine. The lead on the .22LR stuff had oxidized a bit (these were non-plated bullets). The .357 stuff looked band new. All were in a normal military ammo can.

Interesting you would bring this topic up. About a month ago I found 100 rounds of my reloaded .223 that I had placed a card in the box dated November 1997. I thought, what the heck, I'll shoot it. Still shot less than one inch 100 yard groups. A couple of the 5 shot groups where just over half an inch. FYI, it was loaded with mixed brass, Winchester primers, IMR3031 powder and 55gr Hornady V-Max bullets.

As for storage, not good compared to most people's standards. In a small room, no heat in the winter, no cooling in the summer. Stored in those small blue MidwayUSA plastic boxes, not really sealed from the elements. Room temps range from around 50f to at times 90f. High humidity during the summer time.

I have Lake City .30-06 with a L C 68 headstamp that goes bang every time so far. I picked it up from CMP around 15 years ago. By all appearances, it was stored well (came packed in metal military ammo cans U.S. Army style)

I've also had 1983 Guatemalan 5.56 in vacuum sealed plastic packs. I have no idea what the storage conditions were but based on the mold and corrosion, they were less than ideal. Had to discard 2-3 rounds (out of a few thousand) where the neck had split. The rest not only went bang reliably; but were pretty fast even for 5.56.

Frankly, I think any ammo stored inside a home will probably outlast you on this planet.

Last shot some Remington Pistol Match .22LR dated 1962 a few weeks ago, no problems other than my eyes not seeing the sights as well. As far a I know the ammo was never even kept in a can just the cardboard box. Yes it has been kept dry.

I recently shot some ammunition that was stored since the late 50's - early 60's, it all shot fine. I wasn't the original person who stored it, but I believe it was just stored at room temperature in the original commercial packaging.

I have a small stockpile of 30-06 AP, Ball, and Tracer. mostly SL-53 that I bought many years ago, it just stored in GI ammo boxes and I suspect it all still fine, at least the last time I shot some of it it was fine.

For concerns of safety, mine has usually been stored in real ammo cans in the garage.
Quite a range of temperature through out the year.
No problems in the decades I've been doing it.
Don't sweat it.
Although reloads made in one season may shoot a little differently in another season.

Basement. Bulk is in ammo cans the rest thrown up on the shelf.

Spent last night moving that crap. When I did I found a couple of clips that had come list and fallen behind a a shelf. The clips had been sitting on the basement floor and were well rusted. The ammo in the clips did not look safe to shoot so I will toss it. I think I can clean the clips with a brass brush and some oil and they should be good.

Shot some 7 year old .22 last week. Everything cycled but some had lost velocity and went "ftpffff" instead of "plat". It still cycled though.

Basement is climate controlled and kept at 69F.

"...some other freezer-turned-oven and had it shoot 20 years on..." Canadian Forces uses/used(they tell me nothing now) half buried, well insulated, Quonset huts. Still fairly cool and absolutely dry.
Mind you, ammo cans are moisture sealed. Ammo boxes might have cans inside. The DA stuff was in card board boxes. Makes a difference.
20 years is nothing though. Had 1944 vintage .303 Ball issued to my Cadets in the early 80's. Stuff made the IVI crap we got later look like complete garbage accuracy wise.

Some years ago I inherited my grandfather's .22 rifle, along with a few boxes of ammo. The rifle hadn't been fired in more than 30 years, which means the ammo was at least 30 years old, probably closer to 40. It was stored in an unweatherized cottage in Maine for all those years, so summer temps possibly into the low 80s, winter temps at times well below zero. It shot fine.

Disclaimer: It shot, and it went where it was aimed. I have no way of knowing if the velocity had degraded, or even increased. No squibs, no kabooms.

I have .44mag and .45ACP loaded in 1973 stored in my garage (hot Florida). I last shot it about 7 years ago and it was fine. These were reloads with cast bullets. H2400 for the .44 and Unique for the .45.

When you think about it, loaded ammo is a very tight container.
I've had plenty of reloads hidden in pants pockets get mistakenly run through the washing machine without harm.
It's not surprising it doesn't easily deteriorate.

We need a report on how the U.S. Army currently stores their ammo. I remember years back it was in outdoor bunkers and assume it is the same now.

I have scooped 5.56 up out of the floor of APC's that was wet, muddy and walked on. It all fired OK. I did sort thru it some and wipe off the mud.

Stored in a cool dry place ammunition is good for at least 50 years. This morning i fired 40 rounds of .30 caliber ball ammo head stamped LC 43 .

In the US on a base the US Army stores their ammo in heavily fortified underground or earth sheltered bunkers under heavy guard.

DA PAM 385-64 lays it out.

In the field ammo is stored under a variety of conditions often on the ground and outdoors. This is considered temporary, even when the conflict goes on for nearly an entire generation now.

Ammo with issues around here has been due, IMHO, by over handling rather than storage.
Dad has a bad habit of pawing through the ammo stockpiles, sorting and "organizing", a skill at which his talents are either genius or extremely questionable (and since I can't figure it out, I'm going with questionable) The only bad old stuff I've ever come across were in some of his mystery random boxes, tins and bags. Anything old that was still in the box it came in was fine.

We use filing cabinets, ammo cans, cookie tins, even ziplock bags, but everything is packed with desiccant.

3 years Ago, had several boxes of 30-06 Norma ammo - that was purchased with a newly made Browning semi-auto B A R in 1967. Boxes still had the price stickers on $ 3.87 per box. Sold gun - gave ammo to my son down in Georgia to share with his friends. That season they were happy to report that the 46 year old ammo harvested 5 deer for them. All said it performed excelently...just saying.

Usually, temperature and humidity changes are slow, and the ammo slowly changes temperature along with it. I would say it is sudden changes, as in carrying openly in freezing temps, then walking inside where it is warm, that will make ammo become less effective or damaged. JMHO.

Back