So, I've bought a number of TSA seized knives, but...

knives

If you've bought a small Victronox with red scales, the tiny knife blade, scissors, tweezer and toothpick, and a short length of green para cord on a split ring....it's my wife's. Gave it to her as a gift. Seized by TSA in 2001.

We were flying to my home after my Dad's death....it was in her purse, as always, she never even gave it a second thought. I was federally LE credentialed and legally flying armed....in the seat beside her. No reasoning with the TSA employee would convince him to allow me to take possession of it while aloft.
We ate the loss and I bought her another.....yellow scales.

Still annoys me.

Pre-TSA, the security screeners had some discretion. I once forgot about the folding Buck knife I routinely carried in my trousers pocket, and of course it got some attention. The screener looked at the knife, then he looked at me, then again the knife, then again at me, before handing it back to me and telling me to enjoy my flight.

Knives are not a criminal matter (generally, but there are exceptions) and are simply confiscated by TSA. Firearms are considered criminal and are therefore handled by the pertinent LE agency just like any other criminal complaint.

I was on the Anchorage Police Dept. Bomb Squad.

The Airport Security would give us the knives and other assorted contraband go get rid of.

The Oil Companies donated a storage bunker to the department on the condition we disposed of their excess explosives. This made for good training but the explosives were also used to destroy the stuff we got from the Airport.

It was pretty effective.

Too keep this gun related we also got rid of firearms the same way. I had a machine shop/Gun repair shop of the side and the dept. gave me the guns to cut up. I didn't have the heart to do it take a troch to any guns so they went with the Airport Security knives.

That was over 22 years ago, I don't know what they do now, probably have the same policy as it does provide training for the bomb squad guys.

Back