So if your gun is a Tool, what do you Drive??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guv

Many on here consider their main defensive gun "just a tool" and that's okay. Does this feeling of pure utility transfer to the vehicle you drive? I sure see allot of not so plain cars and pickups on the road these days.
Myself, I'm kinda in the middle as far as guns go, and drive a 2012 RAM 1500 Express, my Charger is my "Safe Queen".

Last edited:
Wheeled vehicles are a Lincoln Navigator, Ford F150 and a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. My boats are a Sanpan Pontoon with a Yamaha 150, Nitron Bass with a Mercury 250 and a 14' Alumacraft Jon boat with 3 1/2 Johnson.

My pistols and revolvers are just as varied. A few strange ones thrown in but mostly Berettas, Colts, Sigs and S&W's.

I am not one of the "my gun is just a tool, I don't care what it looks like" types. Neither am I among the "my car is just to get me from A to B, I don't care what it is" types. I like nice guns, I'm usually carrying either a S&W PC snubby or a custom 1911. I like fun cars, I drive a Jeep Wrangler, an Audi TT, or a '66 Ford Thunderbird, depending on the weather, the occasion, and the destination.

SDC10372.JPG

I guess some tools are more utilitarian than others. Perhaps it is the status something confers, or perhaps it is the aesthetics of a tool which appeal to an owner? Perhaps it is the sense of history or another earmark of value?

I know my Glock doesn't have the same panache in my eyes as my S&W revolvers, but it is my go to gun for various reasons, including a subjectively lesser concern about it being scuffed or damaged in some way. Same with some rifles... I treasure my SVT40 more than a PTR91, but I know which one I drill with and practice with the most.

My GMC pickup is in the same camp. I babied it and all when it was new, but now it sits in the driveway collecting leaves. Yet I drive it far more than my Porsche.

Same for motorcycles, my Triumph Tiger 800 hasn't had a bath yet. My BSA Gold Star gets all the attention. Were I to drop the Triumph, I would not be happy. Were I to drop the Goldie I would be inconsolable. Both are arguably transportation, but I clearly value one more than the other.

If only the russians made a car as simple and reliable as my Makarov.

Now, I drive a 5 speed chevy cobalt, which for work-store-home driving is about as close to pure utility as you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back