So I got a new rifle

HALLAUSTIN

I just won an auction on a .204 ruger m77 in stainless and synthetic earlier today. I got it mainly as a range rifle and to maybe take some fur bearers. I have ARs for the same purpose but I think the .204 is a really neat round. I met an older man the other day and he loves his, which prompted me to buy one of my own. I still haven't chose a scope for it and I don't even have it in hand yet. But man am I excited. Any .204 lovers out there? Any advise on do's and don'ts?

Brian will be around shortly to tell you all about it. I have two rifles chambered in it but I still grab the .223 99% of the time. I've never really warmed up to it.

I'm just hoping it does something better than my ARs, I wanted either a 223, 22-250, 204, or a 220swift and have no reason why really. Just think they're neat. I'm just hoping to find out what people use bullet wise and if anyone has a go to load that the 204s tend to like or any helpful info on them.

watched a couple Coyote hunting videos on YouTube in which the 204 was used, it seemed to be pretty proficient to the task.

Some time back I wanted either a 204, 221, or 223. Thought about it for weeks and consulted all my reloading manuals. Finally decided that reloading stuff was far more available for the 223 and I could shoot a 35 gr bullet about as fast as the 204 could push it. And I could go with heavier bullets in the 223, which I couldn't do with the 204. I bought a 223. My decision was based on what I needed, so it might not be the best decision for others. If I was just shooting pdogs or coyotes, I might have gone for the 204.

I had to look that one up, too many new cartridges.

Its definitely an interesting cartridge, my older books don't even show 204 bullets!

It has all the hallmarks of a barrel eater (more so if used to pushed to its capability, phew that's a fast mover)

It does not seem one to be a target rifle.

I would guess under 2000 rounds or less and throat eat out, load long needed and maybe gone.

If I was going down that route I would get a Savage and tools to set it up for the barrel changes you can do yourself.

I got the 204 allegedly unfired so I should have some time before I need to rebarrel. I'm sure I'll get $415 out of use in 2000 rounds either way.

When the .204 came out it was claimed to be easier on barrels than other 4000fps cartridges. I have about 3000 rds down the tube of my Savage and it's still easily the most accurate rifle I own. For powder I tend to use BL-C(2) the most, with 39SBK/40VMax bullets but there are many powders that work just as well. It's great fun to vaporize small vermin with.

The .204 Ruger is a cartridge that serves no real purpose. It was not needed because there are plenty of other cartridges around that will do anything it will do. Having said that, it is next on my list of guns to buy.:D

That's something I fought with. I considered buying a 22-250 but decided that whatever good deal presented itself first I'd jump on.

Back