Snubby 357 ballistics

pmglock

snubby 357 ballistics

Has anyone chronographed loads for 357 snubbies? The SP101 in particular? I'm pretty sure this info has been posted before but I haven't had any luck using the search engine. Any data would be appreciated.

pm

Not chrono work, but here goes.

This is what I have read in the gun rags over the years.

2"bbl
125jhp 1250+
158jhp 1100+
110jhp 1100+

Again these are from a gun rag using a 2"bbl Taurus, so your Ruger should get a little more out of them. I still have my 2.75" service six on layaway and know I will get a bit more velocity out of it than the Taurus numbers.

Hope this helps.

Mikey

Food for thought

Find a reliable source for information on the factory rounds you shoot. Most will give you information on either 8 3/8 or 6 inch barrel[s}. Subtract 30 feet per second for each INCH of barrel you do not have.

You can end up shooting a .357 Magnum at REGULAR .38 Special velocities.

I have chronographed the following in my 640 - 21/4" (I think)
125 gr Speer GDHP 1159fps From, a 3" M 60 vel 1253
110 gr Win HP White Box 1136

Neither of these loads is hot for a .357, in fact the 110 gr is a very moderate load. However, I don't want to shoot heavy 158 grainers in the j Frame .357 - RECOIL is fierce.
Jerry

38spl vs 357 magnum

I have also been told that 38 Special and 357 Magnum were equal in preformance from a snubbie. One thing to keep in mind though...if you already shoot 357 Magnum, and you grab a box of ammo in a rush, you might grab magnums instead of 38's. In this case, you will be real glad that your revolver is magnum rated. :)

re: I have also been told that 38 Special and 357 Magnum were equal in preformance fr

If you really believe that, I have a bridge with a nice view of Brooklyn for sale really cheap. :)

My S&W M-640 will turn out 1210 fps average for Federal premium 125 gr. JHP's and 1215 fps from white box Winchester 110 gr. JHP's.

Using Cor-Bon's heavy loaded 125 gr. JHP I got an average of 1260 fps and a well smacked knuckle.

Even 6" .38 SPL's won't give velocities like that.

BTW, Jerry, the M-640 and other J-frame snubbies .357's have 2 1/8" barrels. Odd that I got higher velocities with the 110 gr. bullets than you did.

Doc Hudson

P.S. .357 Mag ammo won't fit into a .38 SPL chamber, but I've quit putting magnum level reloads in .38 cases to prevent putting them in to my .38 Bodyguard. That is a strong little pistol but I would not want it subjected to the added stresses. LMH

Does anyone have any ballistic comparisons between the 2" and the 6" barrels in 357 mag? I am just wondering what the differnce is in FPS and FPE. Do you loose a bunch of energy?

You are going to lose some MV in the shorter barrel, how much depends a lot on the load used. Slower powders are going to result in less velocity in the snubby (and a BIG fireball!).

B.C.

Doc,
Thanks for the correction. It appears that my 640 is slower than yours. Your velocities with 125 gr are about what I got with the Speer GD out of my 3in M 60. The full house loaded .357 in a light gun has more recoil than I desire. A friend tried some of the Fed Personal Defense .357 rounds in his Taurus J frame, and they were unpleasant. Jerry

Jerry,

If you really want you eyes opened, replace the Uncle Mike rubber grips on the M-640 with a set of skinny wooden J-frame grips. Then shoot a box full of Cor-Bon 125 gr. JHP's.

Let me suggest a shooting glove or at least wrap some tape around the knuckle of your second finger.

Those Cor-Bon loads really get your attention.

Doc Hudson :)

Funny thing about that M-640 of mine.

Jim Taylor let me shoot his .475 Linebaugh withfull powere hunting loads. OUCH!!! They made the .FA .454 seem tame in comparison.

I decided I'd better play with my Always Gun to prevent a worse flinch than usual.

After I fired a couple of cylinders of 158 gr. JPH's Jim tried it. Jim Taylor shoots heavy .45, .454. and .475 loads without a second thought. That 25 ounce M-640 with the skinny wooden grips turned the web of his hand red in five shots. Jim gave it back, shook his hand a few times and went back to shooting his boomers. he din't want any more of my pocket pistol.

Doc Hudson :D

Cruel Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was the one who could not close his hand for nearly a week!!!!!!!

Doc Hudson

P.S. :p

[Edited by Doc Hudson on 02-22-2001 at 09:07 PM]

Back