Snubbies: Steel vs. Lightweight

Perfect snub.......Model 19, 2½", round butt. Real steel, easy to shoot accurately, heavy enough to be comfortable and fun for practice, light enough to carry all day. Small enough to conceal easily.

So there....Sam

I'd have to go with steel guns as opposed to alloys. The reason being that the limitations on the lightweights as far as ammo is concerned make them not as good a choice as the all steel guns. If you carry say +P, you should also practice with it too. The light weights usually recommend that you don't feed a steady diet of +P's. Also the extra weight of the all steel guns helps to reduce recoil which makes them easier to shoot. Just my .02 on it.

Well, my non-expert opinion is that the steel are for shooting and the titanium, scandium, aluminum lightweights are for carrying.
The steel handles better, but carries worse than the lightweights.
I have both, just in case I am wrong, then I have my bases covered.:p

This concept of an ideal carry revolver has had a large number of years to mature. The wrench in the works was that up until the last decade 90% of the firearms being carried were by LEO's and security. This ment lots of sevice holster carry. It may be worth mentioning that by far and away the favorite carry revolvers of the main concealed weapon carriers (undercover police) has been the J frame Smiths and the similar size Colts. Even with these pros weight, power and comfort of shooting was sacrificed to ease of concealment and comfort of carry. that is the "Razor's Edge" we walk when we compromise accuracy, durability and power over comfort, size and concealment.

For me I would rather carry a little heavier weapon that allows the use of more powerful ammo and will hold up to practice.

It may change but right now my favorite carry revolver is a Weigland custom SP101 in .357 Magnum stoked with full power 125 grain Federal hollow points.

Compact

Heavy

Bank vault strong

Deadly

342PD in Ti. Excellent "carry always" gun, even in Summer weight shorts and a T-shirt. (When a lot of you steel guys will either have to uncomfortably overdress or will leave it home-be honest now! :8) ). If you believe that the abiliity to fire multiple rounds down range quickly is more important than the power of any single (missing) round, then you definitely wouldn't go for the 340PD. Even the best shooters can shoot more rounds from a .38 than a .357 in the same amount of time. Consistent accuracy involves lots practice and most of the guys I know with the .357s practice with .38s under the mistaken impression that in an emergency they will be able to handle the recoil and hit their target! Adrenaline overload might likely prove them wrong. I'm not convinced that you pick up that much with the .357 in a 2 incch snubbie anyway. A lot of guys are into POWER though-look at all the giant SUVs around town that rarely have more than a few bags of groceries in them and NEVER leave the road! I'll keep my .38 with some proper ammo!.

Snubbies: Steel vs. Lightweight

Snubbies--Steel vs. Lightweight:
There are handguns that were designed to be carried only and then there are guns that were designed to shot.
Let's make an OFF THE WALL comparison...
Lets take one of the old S&W model 37's [About 13 to 16 ounces]. When you shoot it the recoil, with any kind of defense 38 Special ammo is rediculasly high. You probablly cannot control your shots.

Take An old model 27 or 28 and put the same 38 Special load in it. The recoil is tolerable and you can control your shots. Weight has a lot to do with controlling the gun. Remember...YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BULLETS YOU FIRE.

Having owned several J-frame guns, I think that the 442 is the best way to go. Light, but not so punishing in recoil as a 342Ti. I'm talking 38s. The only 357 J-frame I have owned was stainless steel. An airweight 357 would be too light for me. The 442 gets my nod. A model 38 "Bodyguard" is also a good choice. Watch-Six

My PERSONAL choice - - -

Back in the early ‘80s, after many years of packing an old PPK .380 in an ankle holster, I went looking for the absolute minimum handgun I’d feel safe carrying as main battery off duty, while serving as backup on duty. I settled on the S&W M37 Airweight Chief as my “five-shot .38 derringer.” Bought one brand new, test fired it, bobbed the hammer, and began packing it as my “always gun.” I’ve never regretted the purchase. I shot too many +P-equivalent handloads in practice, and it has been in the shop twice for overhaul. I still carry Remington 158 LSWCHP +P in it, but practice with lighter loads.

This works pretty well for me–Your mileage may vary. Isn’t it nice we have such a wealth of choices?:)

Best,
Johnny

I've owned three snub nosed revolvers, a S&W model 36, Charter Arms Off Duty, and lastly a S&W model 60. All of them were considerably more heavy than some of the lightweight snubs I've looked at. My thoughts on the subject are that if you want to carry one constantly in a side pants pocket or on your ankle, they can be uncomfortable due to weight and size; however, the Thunderwear holsters seem to make up for this problem. With the Thunderwear the weight of a steel J-Frame will go almost un-noticed and I've found it to be about the most practical method of carrying my snub nosed model 60 for my lifestyle. With practice and the appropriate dress, it is possible to gain access to the weapon within a few seconds, making it suitable when the types of perceived threats likely will allow a bit of warning. However, this method of carrying works best with loose fitting pants, with tight fitting jeans the bulge will probably draw attention.
For quick trips down to the grocery store or around town, I still don't mind the weight of the snub in my coat or pants pocket.

I've got the titanium and scandium models, the aluminum models, and a steel model. The reason I don't sell the steel model is it is in 9mm, a relatively rare and cool caliber for a J-frame. :D

The recoil of an alloy or lighter S&W J-frame is vastly overrated here. Please try one for yourself before being scared off. You may like it.

Perfect Snub-

Smith & Wesson model 60, .38 caliber "Chief's Special".
The gun that started the stainless steel craze. Mine is
a early production gun from the mid 1960's; and has
been carried a lot, but shot very little. It's still tight as
"Dick's Hat Band".:cool: :) :D That's pretty damn good,
considering it survived in the hot climates of Southeast
Asia.:eek: And it has been well taken care of, as it still
looks brand new.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

It goes 2 ways in my view....a light framed gun is ok, as long as it can handle +P for its lifetime and you only shoot +P 38's from it....

A small 5 rnd 357 with a steel frame is IMO better...its not that much heavier, relatively speaking and can handle 357 ammo and recoil better....its depends on what you prefer...simple.

Shoot well

I have a 357 model 60, and recently traded my 38 model 342ti on a model 340 in 357. The 60 is a breeze with 38's, and has a nice kick with 357's. Nothing untolerable, though. The 342ti only shot 38's, and felt about as rough as the model 60 with 357's. Definately not a target gun, but it was accurate enough for a 10 ounce 5-shot 38. Finally the 340. I haven't shot it yet (I've been to the range once since I've gotten it, and left it at home by accident), but I imagine the recoil to be fairly rough. The nice thing is that if it is too rough, I can download with 38's.

Wow. Different strokes for different folks. A lot of experimenting and experience here and evryone seems to have found something that works for them.

Me? I work in an office five days a week, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Most of the time I wear fine wool or fine cotton pants with a sport shirt or dress shirt and tie. Sometimes I wear a sweater vest, or a sport jacket. Very rarely do I wear a suit. So, I rarely have the opportunity to carry on the belt.

I carry a S&W 642 in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster every day. It is lightweight enough so that it doesn't sag my pocket, and small enough so that it doesn't bulge. I carry a speed strip in the offside pocket. I have tried other combinations -- a Colt Detective Special, a S&W 640, a Seecamp LWS 32, a Walther PPK/S. Nothing
works for me like the 642.

I have a Model 19 2.5" snub, too, and a 686. As soon as I get a nice Blade Tech kydex holster for those, they'll start riding under my jacket. For now, on weekends or under a sport jacket, I rely on a BHP or a 1911.

I am quite satisfied with my Taurus 85 steel blue 38 special. 5 rapid fire DA to CM @ 30 feet

I carry in a kydex IWB tuckable holster and with a bloused shirt over the "barrel bulge" only a trained eye would notice.

A little bit heavier than the alloys but I like to shoot my guns at the range yet keep a tight well performing weapon for carry, so I stick with the steel. During the winter months when a jacket or vest is worn, I carry one of my full size semiautos.

My 99% of the time carry gun right now is an S&W Model 042, Centennial Airweight in .38 Spl.

I really don't know how I lived for so long without one.

Back