Snubbie with a unique birdshead design grip

HighValleyRanch

One of the advantages of the enclosed humpback snubbie is that one can get a higher purchase on the frame and reduce the bore axis.

So I did some drawings a while back and came up with my own unique design to take advantage of that concept. The grip has a high overhang so that my hand goes naturally high into the curve. The rounded backstrap hump also forces the hand into the high position. I have a medium hand and can get all three fingers on the frontstrap of the grip.

I convexed the front of the grip like a birdshead grip to help with recoil and rounded the backstrap like a birdshead for easier concealment.

I roughed out this grip last night and am just playing with the design concept.
It may not be to everyone's asthetic taste, but if you don' experiment, you won't get anything new!:D

But regardless of how it looks, it sure feels good in the hand. Testing with various loads will be the detemining factor. Just did a quick sanding and color stain as it's only a model to see where i am going with this project.

Good or bad, what's you thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05115.JPG
    DSC05115.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC05124.JPG
    DSC05124.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC05125.JPG
    DSC05125.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 518
Looks good and the concept seems sound. I'm thinking this won't work for my LCRX - the hammer wouldn't clear the upper part. Maybe that's what you're calling the overhang. Please keep us posted on your progress.

I'm thinking this won't work for my LCRX - the hammer wouldn't clear the upper part

Correct. This is the one I made for my LCRX. The upper lip is as far up as one can go and still provide a slight recess for the hammer to clear. You can see that the one for the LCR is much higher.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC05078.JPG
    DSC05078.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC05079.JPG
    DSC05079.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 441
It makes me think of a detective in a trench coat with the collar up. Looks good to me. What material did you make it out of?

"dectective with collar turned up!"

I like that!:D

It's made of American black walnut with a water base black leather dye, then sanded lightly with 400 grit back to expose the wood color. If varnish is applie it turns a nice brown/blue black color. More like the finished color of the LCRX grips.

Very nice piece of woodworking. I thought it was molded rubber at first. It looks comfortable. Like Water-Man, I would rather see some undercut behind the trigger guard unless that would throw off the grip angle.

Wait !!! Is that a phillips head screw ???

(Arquebus faints)

The desing of the LCR frame will not allow a higher undercut to the rear of the trigger guard.
The grips on the LCRX are as high as you can go.

Probably because any higher and the gun would be a real knuckle buster due to its light weight and extreme recoil.

Yes, a cheap 4/40 phillips screw and hex nut are my main eschucheons!:eek:

OK, I'm not that familiar with the LCR other than liking their appearance. They have an almost steampunk quality to them. Ruger is pretty good at this. I bought their American Compact 9mm for this very reason. (sweet shooting pistol BTW)

Again, nice woodworking.

Just tried out the grips down in the pasture.
Super great with mild target loads. Less recoil and muzzle flip than a .22.
(125 grain with trailboss loads).

Horandy critical defense and HST Micro +P hot defense loads. Straight back hard recoil, but still no problem keep sight on target and fast followups. Minimal flip with the super high hand load. Recoil felt pretty straight back.

.357 158 grain JHP Magtech the flip was still minimal, but the wood grips transmitted the shock straight back much greater than the hogue tamer grips. In a self defense situation I am sure that I could get off five well place shots, but will have to use gloves for extended range practice. Don't want to wreck my hands which I depend on for a living.

Same here, made me think of the Rhino snub-nose I had and wondered if the high grip placement might get some of the same physical effects as a Rhino. Judging by your brief comments on first use, it sounds as if it does a good job of directing things in a more straight back situation to lower muzzle flip.
I would seriously consider buying this rig as a cheap secondary pistol.

Modified the grips again. Took off some of the overhang so that I can move the hand even higher, and undercut higher as suggested.

Yes, it definitely has Chiappa overtones.
You can see the similarities with the side by side photo comparison:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rhino2_Nera_0_002.jpg
    Rhino2_Nera_0_002.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC05141.JPG
    DSC05141.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 238
Looks interesting...I tried Pachmayr Diamond Pro's on my LCR and didn't care for them. I find the original Hogue Tamers the most comfortable at this juncture.

Back