snubbie accuracy

speed

This question is directed to those who are accomplished shooters with their snub nosed revolvers.

Put simply,at what distance, in feet, are you confident that you could hit a human size target with an effective shot?

You can take your time,nobody is shooting back at you:)

god bless

P.S. don't forget to mention your favorite snubbie

100 yards.

I can group 3-4 inches with my Taurus 605 at 25 yards shooting single action, slow fire, off a rest.

I moved back to the 100 yard range once just for grins and was able to keep them on a man-sized sillouette--again, slow fire, off a rest, no wind. I wasn't accurate enough to pick the spot to hit, just make torso shots. But good enough for me to answer your question in the affirmative with a result of 100 yards.

In my estimation, the snubbie revolver doesn't lose much accuracy due to the shorter barrel. The sight radius is shorter which makes aiming harder, but the basic accuracy of the weapon is determined by the manufacturing quality. If the shooter can work with the shorter sight radius, the snubbie can be very accurate indeed. Not as accurate as a high-grade target revolver, but more accurate than most folks think.

K

I am accomplished.
A five shot Smith or Colt in 38 special .
Standard NRA Police -B-27 Target
Wadcutter ammo
10 rounds at the 7 yd line into the 2" center
The remaining 40 rounds--from the 15 to 50 yd line
right and left hand
from behind a barricade
Prone, Standing, kneeling
all in the 10 ring
Same with my CCW--Speed Six-357
Any accomplished shooter can hit the mid section of the B-27 at 100 yds.

Any of the above mentioned handguns can do that and only not if the shooter is at fault.
100 yds seems far away for the new breed of semi-auto shooters but revolver champions have been 'it' for many decades.

I venture to say there are civilians on this site who are able to hit a mansized target--at 100yds--with any of their standard revolvers--snub nosed or not.
Don Mallard

Man sized.....COM.....100yds standing, kneeling or prone. Two handed. Model 36, 2½" Model 19, 2½" Model 686.

National match course....expert with 2" Model 36. Standing, one handed.

Sam

I can hit an anti-freeze jug (one of these days I might actually BUY a target) consistantly at 100yrds with my Rossi M8 2 inch barrel. It isn't that difficult with a bit of practice.

With my S&W M36, 5 shot .38 SPL., I can hit real good at 25 yds. (5 " circle). I've never tried at a greater range, but I'll bet it can hang in there.
Clem
USMC Retired

That would depend on if I get a couple sighters. If I could see how much bullet drop was involved, I am sure I could hit a human sillhouette target at 100 yards. I have never really tried it with a snub nosed revolver so I wouldn't know how high to aim. If I had to just draw from a holster and the first shot counts, probably around 50 yards.

Two foot diameter gong at 100 yards

Consistently (four times out of five) with my S&W model 649 in single action, two handed. Can do the same with my cousin's model 60.

I practice several times a week,B-24 target,at 60 yards using my Taurus 605ch, with .357 158grn sn rounds.Tried at 100 yards and can only make 3 out of 5 so far,at 60 yds all 5.
Ray

You guys are bad asses!

I am actually more accurate at 25 yds with my .38 J Frame Airweight snubbie shooting FMJ or CCI ammo than with my .45 auto.

It kicks like a mule, but I can put all 5 in the head.

Have actually came close to doing the smiley face pretty good at 25 yds, but it takes a reload to do it right. Never can get that mouth curve just perfect!

At a hundred yards with a pistol?

I think I would run for cover vs. shooting back or wait for the Bad guys to get closer.

One shot on human(torso-not includind legs) sized target?

100yds. with consistency 5/5 out of 21/4" DAO sp101 357mag.

The trick is watching your sight picture as you SLOWLY squeeze the trigger.
The 125gr slugs are EXTREMELY flat-shooting out to 100 yards. Shooting this way it's usually 5/5 inside an 18" circle.

100 yds DOA smith 642 from the prone position all shots in the "chest"

much easier with a colt detective special/ cobra due to longer trigger pull

just watch the front sight and keep the trigger moving back untill it "breaks"

Back