"Sniper" type bolt handle on Mosin Nagant

cowboy33713

Howdy-
Recently got around to putting a turned down bolt handle on one of my M. Nagant rifles-eliminating the short handle that sticks straight up when the action is opened. I'd purchased a couple from the www.buymilsurp.com website when they had some in stock ( they are popular, and sell out fast when the firm gets some in). They sell a turned down, longer bolt handle WELDED to a bolt body; it is a close copy of the genuine "sniper" bolt handle the Russians used. The conversion ( part switching, really) was quick to accomplish without tools. WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! Far easier to cycle the action quickly and stay on target while doing so. Coupled with one of the Hubler triggers, this rifle is still inexpensive, and alot more fun and effective.
Just puttin' it out there.
;)
cowboy33713

Last edited:
i have a question for you.
when the new bent bolt you have is in the open position does it go past the angle that the normal bolt is at when it is in the closed position

? Well, no- I read your question correctly. With the bolt closed, the standard handle would point directly sideways, and then when the bolt was opened, the standard handle would point straight up. The replacement is a lot more like the bolt handle on any of a number of sporting rifles; when closed, the handle now points down, and SLIGHTLY toward to rear. When opened, the new handle points to the side. Nice, fast to cycle. Clears the standard stock without modification.
The relationship of the locking surfaces has not changed, nor the headspace ( the bolt head detemines headspace relative to the chamber, and you use the bolt head that came on your rifle).

i realize that it points to the side im trying to figure out how high of an angle it points to the side? is it pointing straight out to the side when its open or is it more toward a diagonal. i need to know how far up i should mount the scope, i wanna keep it as low as i can without having to worry about even the sniper bolt hitting it

Well, shucks. The seller's website notes that these work with the type of scope system that the Russians used. Scoping wasn't a consideration for me ( at this time, anyway) and was more than happy that the bent handle flat made the rifle a whole bunch more usable. They also sell a bolt handle to use with the "ATI" produced scope mount. Have a look at their site!
Does anyone make a "scout rifle" type scope mount that puts a long eye relief scope forward of the action? That could solve a couple of problems if available.

Last edited:
the scope mount is my problem, i dont know if it mounts the scope high enough for even the bent bolt. can you tell from the pic if it will work? the reason im asking is because your the first person ive talked to that has a sniper bolt

mosin.jpg

mp25ds4- that mount is designed for a long eye relief scope. its not designed to be mounted the way that you have it. you need a scope with about 10-12'' of eye relief.

its a scout mount, its not designed to turn it into a sniper rifle.

i realize that im trying to make a low budget sniper without tapping the reciever, iguess ill get some ultra high scope ring to compensatee the sniper bolt and the scope over the reciever

can you tell from the pic if it will work?

Does THAT work? It looks like the bolt handle would be knocking the scope if you tried to close it. If it does and it stays sighted in I wouldn't change anything... I might actually try that myself if I can find one of those mounts for sale that will hold zero.

it works with the normal bolt if i move it forward about 4 notches. but before i spend 55$ on a sniper bolt i am curious to know if the sniper bolt handle would touch the scope when lifted up

mp25ds4,
I don't know if it will work for you or not, but here a couple of shots of a "sniper" type bolt handle (gun show purchase) installed with the bolt unlocked:
2a0j7o1.jpg

smssgh.jpg

Regards,
Greg

Scope Mount for Mosins

GSU I have a B square rear sight scope mount that I have for sale if you are interested send me a PM Cheap it needs a long eye relief scope it worked very well on my 44
ELMOUSMC

Back